The CampFire Forum Index The CampFire
A self-reliant living discussion board  
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Time Out
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The CampFire Forum Index -> Board Issues & News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pipedreams
Founder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Time Out Reply with quote

Time Out

Several things, not so good in the big picture, seem to have converged in my life recently. Any one of these things individually wouldn’t be an issue, but the fact that they’ve all seen fit to happen at the same juncture in time means that dealing with these things will take all of my time as well as my immediate attention.

As such, I’ll be offline for a while……..offline as in the laptop shut down and put into storage along with everything else I own, which isn’t much anymore. This could involve weeks, months or quite possibly forever; I’m not really in control of this one. Right now, I have no expectations. I really don’t have a clue what the future will bring my way.

In recognition of the very real possibility that I don’t make it back, I wanted to take a moment or two to reflect on the Campfire and what it’s meant to me over the years.

Without question, the Campfire and the wonderful people here have always been an oasis of friendship, relaxation, information, insight and much, much more. It’s impossible to express in words what everyone here has meant to me…and what having the comfort of the Campfire to turn to has represented in both good times and bad……….and Lord knows there’s been plenty of both for all of us over the years.

Hopefully the board will continue on for years to come, everything is paid up and GTG for the next 9 months or so……..after that? Anyone who has sent in a contribution this year has the name and address of our server, I guess you can take it from there one way or another, or not.

Strange, I have so much to say but can’t seem to find the words to express any of it right now? Perhaps it’s better that way. Sometimes words only serve to diminish and alter thoughts and feelings that are long established and best left undisturbed.

I will, however, say that I had no idea how much not being in Alaska for moose season would mean to me. It was always so much more than just hunting. These were the two weeks that made the whole year worthwhile for me. The friendship and adventure were the most intense essence of the outdoors that I’ve ever experienced. Not being there this year and being so far away from everything that means anything to me, beyond family, has left me in a void I would have never imagined.

I can’t think of a better swan song than being there right now, the scent of fall in the air and the warmth of the woodstove after a long day in the bush… but alas, that………….like so much more, just isn’t meant to be it seems.

Well, I’m out there in spirit at least, off in that little clearing you can see through the trees in front of the fourwheeler, carefully glassing the ponds and tree lines for just one more 60” bull…..I know he’s out there, waiting for me and wondering, “where did my hunter go? This is our time ? ”…….

Hopefully, I’ll be back, but I really don’t know if that is going to be possible, so for now at least….Thanks for all the great times!! In the interim, be it in this world or the next, know that my heart and soul is still sitting here next to the campfire, tossing in a log or two and constantly stirring the coals with my diamond willow fire poker. “Sure, I’ll take another cup of coffee, but throw in a shot of that whiskey too!!……….it’s cold out here tonight” !

God Bless and God Speed, friends. You are the best of the best!

The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.
Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by pipedreams on Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Old Judge Creek
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pipe,

I honestly don't know what to say. Neither can I have a complete understanding of the stress you are undergoing. However, I can appreciate how intense it must be for you, Pard and I hope you know my prayers are indeed with you.

Tellya this though: every outfit needs a good leader and My Friend, that leader has been you, in spades. You set the tone for The CampFire. And you've lead us, inspired us to "go and do" and entertained us with with stories of your experiences and superb camera work that's made us feel as if we were standing there with you on every adventure.

And you given us a forum for our excursions, which though they pale in comparison, at least give us an opportunity to "share".

Regardless, The CampFire is my net "Home". Over the years I've stopped regular visits to all the boards save The CampFire... because it is the best: the best leadership and the best people populating the site.

I thank you for what you've given to all of us, what you've taught all of us, and what you've shared with all of us!

Why not go ahead and take some time off ? I'm certain a couple of us would be more than willing to tend the fire until you're feeling better and can once again take the reins.

OJC
Manny

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pipe,
You've created a rare gathering of quality people, which I feel very fortunate to be a small part of. Can only guess at what you're going through, and hope that you find strength and comfort to deal with it on your terms. Do what makes you happy and go where your heart leads and know that the fire you've started has spread and those who've been touched by its warmth and enjoyed it's companionship wish all the best for you.
God Bless,
Manny
nancy1340
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want you back. #kiss
Mahachippy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pop,

The Campfire is my home. Plain and simple I feel the most comfortable on the internet when I am at the Campfire and quite frankly I can't imagine it without you or anybody else here.

However, I know that a person has to do what a person has to do. So, don't worry about us...just focus on getting better and we'll keep the fire going and the coffee warm.

I know I may not be one of your real kids, but I feel like I am kinda child of everybody here and I think of each of ya'll as not only my mentors, but also as some of my very best friends.

We may not have met in person, but I think our spirits have crossed paths more than once and I feel like we have a bond that runs thicker than water.

I feel truly blessed to be a part of everybody here and am honored that you would call me friend.

Best wished to you Pop and God Bless.

Chip
"Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." Psalms 46:10

Defend the weak, protect both young and old, never desert your friends. Give justice to all, be fearless in battle and always ready to defend the right. Show welcome and good cheer to all of true heart.

Live with no excuses. Love with no regrets.
Quill

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know what to say. Hang in there and let us know how it goes even if it is second hand info. I hope you find peace and happiness.

*some restrictions apply, void where prohibited
Orion
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bro, I can only guess most of what you've been going through in the last year.
Suffice to say that if it ever comes down to where I'm facing what you have, if I'm even half the man you've shown yourself to be, then I'll be happy!
You've shown us how to face adversity with tenacity, humour, dignity and true grit.

Don't worry about the CampFire, brother, it'll still be here. There are a lot of us who consider this place home and the people here family. We'll not let you down. When you make it back, your seat'll still be here waiting for you.

As OJC wrote, you've given us the singularly best place on the 'net to sit around, swap stories and experiences and meet new friends.
It's brought folks from around the world together to share experiences, lives and just shoot the breeze.
If not for this place I'd never have had the opportunity to ride and shoot with three of the greatest guys I've ever met.

God bless and keep you, my friend.

I'll be seeing you around.

Don

DCMG #13

"I'm just preparing my impromptu remarks."

- Winston Churchill

I will appeal, not to the freedom of speech or religion, but to the sacred and inalienable right to be left the hell alone.

- Andrew Coyne
bigbore442001

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pipe:

Sunshine and I wish you the best. I can have a small understanding as to how you feel but can never really know.

I still think that a week or two in the Maine woods will help out a lot.
GrayBear
Chief Bedroll Spark Stomper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Pipedreams........... Reply with quote

Tina and I can only wish you the best as you go do what you feel you have to do.

Good Luck,

GrayBear & Tina
weaver
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#rose
Uncle Alvah

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So like, you want me to go completely entirely frigging bald!
Sandman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been posting here as much as I used to (due to some stuff I have going on, myself) but I stop in and read a most every day. What every one else has said, I agree with wholehearted. Get what you got to get done, done, and get back here. We'll keep the fire going, and hold your place here.

Best wishes, and God bless.

SSG Sanders, USAR
(Bill)

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know.
cedar valley

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't really add anything else that hasn't been said, because I agree with ALL of the above posts WHOLEHEARTEDLY.

Regardless of what happens, we will make SURE this board keeps going. PERIOD. That will be our second priority, the first being to pray for you and your family, whatever happens.

I hope your family can keep us updated, though. Feel free to give them my cell number. Please make sure they know how to update us, whether on here, or some other means.
I'm sending a PM with my cell number in case you've misplaced it. They don't HAVE to call me, I'm sure they'll have other numbers... but if they need or want to, I'd be glad to hear from them and you.
Good luck, John, and we're still pullin' for ya.
James
"CV"
Bob
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pipe,
I'm not good at putting my feelings into words. It's been said above pretty darn good. I know in my heart we'll see you again.
Until then, Vaya con Dios, Go with God.

Bob
Kansas
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, don't know what to say. Will keep you in our thoughts at all times.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The CampFire Forum Index -> Board Issues & News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: