The CampFire Forum Index The CampFire
A self-reliant living discussion board  
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

big knives
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The CampFire Forum Index -> Blacksmithy & Blades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ol Mose

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: big knives Reply with quote

I've been looking at these really big knives lately. Utube is full of people using them and praising them. Every time I find them at shows they just seem way too big for anything I might need in the Midwest. The junglas might be good in the jungle, a place I probably will never get to. And they frown on me chopping my way through corn fields around here #shakehead I thought maybe the ESEE 6 but even that seem too deep for my needs. Although the length is about right. I have never used a large knife and all of my outdoor needs have been met with an old western knife I've had for years. I found a replacement for it a few years ago. A bird and trout Kbar but they sure were afraid to put a decent edge on it. Not long after that I bought a Martinni #10. It is amazingly sharp but small and not full tang like the others. I have an SRK in a go bag and a CS hunter in my forage bag but neither has really been used for anything. Just preps. I've got other knives floating around including a Kbar fighting knife I don't have a clue why I bought. I even have a Russell type knife I bought from Herter's back in the day. It's handy but again small and for a specific use. I met a knife maker at a gun show, he makes custom knives at a very reasonable price. He uses 02 steel. I don't know anything about the steels of knife making other than 1095 high carbon. He says it sharpens easily.... any thoughts?
Old Judge Creek
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mose, I feel your pain #smashblue

I have a Junglas. I had absolutely NO use for it when I bought it, and still don't... unless there's a zombie apocalypse or I move back to the deep south. And let's not rule out the latter. I'm seriously considering such a relocation.

But like Carol Burnett, I saw it in the window and simply couldn't resist it. So, I have a Junglas in my knife battery.

OTOH:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=gideonstactical+junglas+ii&qpvt=gideonstactical+junglas+ii&view=detail&mid=70F1F2F17D38260CAD2E70F1F2F17D38260CAD2E&&FORM=VDRVRV

As with the Woodmans Pal, I can see the Junglas II having far more application in the boonies of our USA (the deep south and Hawaii possibly excepted).

In fact, I think the Junglas II (J-2) might supplant both the ESEE 6 and Junglas in most knife batteries. The J-2 is a small chopper and a great melon knife - with a kick-ass kydex sheath instead of the molded plastic one that comes with the ESEE 6. And I'll guarantee it'll out-chop my 2 Hawks tomahawk, but I'd bet the hawk will offer more general utility.

My Junglas (J-1), Woodmans Pal, and ESEE machete excepted, my two biggest knives are my Western 16" clip point Bowie and my USMC Kabar. I find them essentially useless in the field.

My ESEE 5 will baton anything I need to and then some and make great (Lifetime Warranted) pry bars as well.

I prefer ESEE 4 or ESEE 3 for most of my general field utility, but I have to admit I prefer at least a 5" blade for skinning out deer or larger game.

I am really close to pulling the trigger on an ESEE Laser Strike

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=gideonstactical+laser+strike&view=detail&mid=E1B059EED87B04EEF465E1B059EED87B04EEF465&FORM=VIRE

I also suggest you check out this guy's comparison of the Laser Strike vs the ESEE 5

and he also has a long standing love affair with the ESEE 6 (you might check out that video)

Sounds to me that whatcha got in yer battery will serve you well come shtf. But if you feel the need to make that better, we'll all encourage you #eek

I personally love long knives, but have found that the shorter blades offer enough utility to cover my needs. No doubt when the zombie thing happens or when the shtf, my Junglas will be fa' fa' away at home, no matter where I happen to be.... #rolleyes

#lol #lol #lol
DCMG #1

Old age aint fer sissies...
Ol Mose

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's amazing Judge. Ive been watching Gideontac on utube for over a week, off and on. I like his presentations. Intelligent and to the point.. Yeah, I probably don't "need" another knife, but..........
Since my SRK is in a bag and my CS Hunter is in a bag I don't have a lg useful knife around, Like you said, the K-bar is useless as far as I can see, unless I'm fighting the Japs in the pacific. And I believe that's all done with.... I've kinda gotten it down to the Gerber Strong Arm BDZ or the ESEE 6CM. The 6CM is not quite so deep as the regular 6 and I like the blade profile better. But that Gerber has a nice blade too and a real great sheath. Plus ole Bear Grylls seems to like it so if I ever get on TV I'd be set......... #lol I didn't see the lazer so I guess I will have to watch that video.

This preparing for lions and tiger and bears and comets and zombies and volcanoes and left wing liberals sure is exhausting. Last week I saw a video of a prep bag and it had an emergency sewing kit in it.................. #eek I didn't have one,........ I didn't even know I needed one, but the more I thought about it the better an idea it seemed....... I now have 3. One for each bag I have made up......
(I just love those mini Altoid tins)
At least now when the Zombies attack I won't have to use one hand to hold up my pants while I fight them off with the other................ #blush #lol Hmmm,..... maybe I need an emergency pair of suspenders.......... Just don't know if I should get mossy oak or real tree........????? Do they make gilly suit suspenders??

Last edited by Ol Mose on Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
riverdog

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem with my old RAT 7 (the Jungles' granddaddy). I keep moving it from kit to kit, cause I'm not sure what to do with it.
Ol Mose

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

?????? #shakehead I think I'll buy one of those 12" or 14" Fiskar hatchets instead............. And then just use one of my smaller knives for everything else...... I'm soooo confused.......... #eek
riverdog

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gransfors Bruks camp axe. Hatchets are a compromise without a problem to solve. I can do everything with my RAT 7 and a stout stick that I can do with a hatchet. I can do a whole lot more with a light axe.
Ol Mose

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup, those small hatchets seem to me to be better than any big choppers that they sell. I have two medium type hatchets, a ?
fiskar and an old Collins that I found in the muskeg in Alaska in 1967, God know how old it is.......... but it is a handy mid weight hatchet. 18" handle My Fiskar is about the same. I'm gonna get a 12" fiskar hatchet and I"m gonna take my SRK knife and make it my home knife and put the K-bar into it's place in the get home bag. Heaven knows the bag is set up for a zombie scenario . And a K-bar is perfect for attacking Zombies. (swords not considered) Then I'll add the marttiini as as small knife for the rest of the duties. OK I may buy a Gerber Strong back too .............or .................?????
It's a good thing I have a couple of outdoor nephews who will inherit all this stuff. Both were Hot shots, LEOs, EMTs and now other things................ They will use and appreciate all the stuff I have accumulated .......... If I die before I wear it all out............. God, I hope I live long enough to wear out an SRK........................ #kiss
or start dating a walking zombie........... even if they still want to eat my brains I think I'm pretty safe..............They'll starve..................
riverdog

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SRK should be everyone's field knife. It fits the 'do everything' category. I have two, as well as a comparable Randal #14, which is a hell of a field blade. But I think the SRK's are a better choice economically, and can perform as well. Besides, I like the handles better.
Hank Dodge

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep...The Randall 14 is a great knife, but they command a high price these days. I have one that I've had for years that satisfies all my "Bowie" knife needs. I've also got one of their "Combat Companion" blades that travels everywhere with me in my get home gear. Safe to say that I like the Randall knives.....

Also as part of my get home gear, I generally carry a Two Hawks brand "Long Hunter" tomahawk. It's great for the light duty camp chores of limbing, splitting, and chopping stuff. It makes an effective hammer in a pinch as well. It's much lighter and easier to carry than a hatchet or camp axe. Most of my trucks have a Hudson Bay camp axe in them as well for any heavier work.
DCMG #3

"Shoot them big guns.....you can see the holes better!"
Ol Mose

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just measured my fiskar it's the 14" model. It will do. Called Cold Steel about a new sheath for my SRK. Email was returned with out any comment. I guess Customer service is not what it should be.
After 5 knives and several machetes I've bought from them I don't think they will get any more of my business. They could at least have said no..........
Old Judge Creek
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hank Dodge wrote:
Y...

Also as part of my get home gear, I generally carry a Two Hawks brand "Long Hunter" tomahawk. It's great for the light duty camp chores of limbing, splitting, and chopping stuff. It makes an effective hammer in a pinch as well. It's much lighter and easier to carry than a hatchet or camp axe...

Spot on, Hank. I like my Two Hawks "Long Hunter" as well. There are some interesting "hidden" characteristics in these tools.
DCMG #1

Old age aint fer sissies...
Bajatacoma

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ol Mose wrote:
Just measured my fiskar it's the 14" model. It will do. Called Cold Steel about a new sheath for my SRK. Email was returned with out any comment. I guess Customer service is not what it should be.
After 5 knives and several machetes I've bought from them I don't think they will get any more of my business. They could at least have said no..........

There are lots of aftermarket sheaths out for the SRK, both leather and Kydex, and almost all of them are a lot better than the factory sheaths. Heck there are some good deals on them on ebay and etsy. I made a leather sheath for mine a while back and I've been playing with Kydex trying to learn to make those as well.

You can have my factory plastic sheath if you want (if I can find it) but I removed the nylon part off the top when I was experimenting with making leather belt loops and the top two rivet holes are a little hogged out after I opened them for Chicago screws.
Ol Mose

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

let me know how your kydex making is going, I looked into getting some for a few of my knives with less robust sheaths. But as yet I haven't bought anything, Info is always great.
Bajatacoma

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'd probably describe it as amateurish. #look I've made a couple of functional pieces but nothing I'm proud of. I really need a good press or a good vacuum box but I don't have room or money for either. I'm just not getting the definition I'd like. Now that my arm is healing up I need to get back to work and I'm not sure if I'm going back overseas or not so I'm trying not to get any more invested in hobbies (like I don't have enough crap in storage as it is).
Ol Mose

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's one that's suppose to be a professional ????? At least a knife making. Anyway. I watched it and it didn't seem that difficult......... which is why I haven't tried it yet............. Looks are deceiving
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The CampFire Forum Index -> Blacksmithy & Blades All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: