The CampFire Forum Index The CampFire
A self-reliant living discussion board  
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Miz Nancy 'Skipped thru the Raindrops'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The CampFire Forum Index -> Board Issues & News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Old Judge Creek
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Miz Nancy 'Skipped thru the Raindrops' Reply with quote

Yup, she did 'n' stayed dry.

OTOH: We got drenched!!!

My area has no overhead electrical lines, no phone poles and all the power lines etc are buried underground and in vaults.

Last week was the first rain (other than light sprinkles) we've had in almost three years. The newspaper ran a big article on how Stanford scientists have proven via tree rings that this is our worst drought in 1200 years (yes, twelve hundred). Which makes me wonder… Actually they could've just picked up the phone, called GW and asked him. Lol!

The vault down the way flooded and I had no hard wired phone for a couple of days. My iPhone still worked fine though.

After Nancy left the BIG storm arrived as predicted. North of the SF Bay they had 70+ mph winds, large power outages, treed down everywhere and roads made impassable from subterranean collapse, flash floods,etc.

It hit here around midnight Wednesday and rained like the proverbial bovine voiding her bladder on a flat rock almost continuously until about 2 AM this morning.

I did loose a couple of large branches from a eucalyptus tree but no damage.

A new Safeway grocery opened nearby at 4:00PM and I received this nice coupon for 20% off groceries bought between 4 and whenever so I figured why not go there... my thought was it was raining so hard only #wink er... ah... folks soft in the head would show up.... #psycho

WRONG!!! There wan't a parking place within a quarter mile. so I decided to put the time to better use. --- fast forward to this morning --- the radio says a new Safeway Grocery opened and because of the rain, the roof above the produce section collapsed. There were injuries but no fatalities.

Heavy heavy heavy rain after three years of none. There are certainly a lot of problems yet to come.

More later if there's any worthwhile news. I still gotta make a run to the grocery store #rolleyes

#lol #lol
DCMG #1

Old age aint fer sissies...
nancy1340
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wadda'ya mean ya still need to make a grocery run? You were't prepared? #shakehead

#lol

Glad you weren't squezzin' the matter's when the roof failed. #eek

Thanks for the report and, now more than ever, glad FTWB and I got out of the AO. #smile
Wilbur

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well first off lemme say I'm glad you survived the flooding rains!

One of my neighbors is a line tech for Verizon in Boston and he LOVES the spring rains with all the flooding it brings because of all the overtime he gets. I never understood it that well until he explained that rain is worse than an ice storm because so much is now underground and when they have areas flood there is TONS of equipment that goes out and needs to be rewired.

I did see news reports about the "worst drought in 1200 years tree rings study" and being a total geek on trees (we used to take tree ring cores for a lot of studies in school) and global warming BS I had to dig into it a bit.....lets just say that the news was a little more extreme than what the study actually provides in the way of data. (And let me apologize in advance for the thread drift here Judge....this stuff just really pi**es me off)

Yes they do claim that the drought is the worst in 1200 years. But they claim it is due to the lack of rainfall PLUS the higher temps that make it the worst. Call me crazy but I thought the definition of drought was lower than average rainfall. #rolleyes But I guess when you're a researcher intent on scaring people with science you can change the definition to be anything you want.

So leaving out the inherent inability to truly get real temperature information from 1200 years ago I just want to show you what the study actually says about the rainfall (or lack thereof) in CA:

From Page 8 of the study:

The reconstructed precipitation value for 2014 is extremely low, in the lowest sixth percentile (1293-2014; Figure 2b). However, deficits in 2014 are less severe than those reconstructed during punctuated dry periods in the late 16th (1571, 1580, 1585), 18th (1721, 1765, 1782, 1795) or 19th (1829, 1864, 1877, 1898) centuries (Figure 2c). Moderately greater precipitation deficits were also reconstructed during the instrumental period (1934, 1961, 1990, 2002). All years during 2012-2014 have below average precipitation, but their cumulative reconstructed rainfall deficit is not yet unprecedented (Figure 3b). More extreme three-year consecutive precipitation deficits are evident near the turn of the 20th century (1898-1900) and in the early 16th century (1527-1529). Similar events were reconstructed during the early (1735-1737) and late 18th (1794-1796) century. Longer episodes (from four to nine consecutive years) of below average precipitation are also present in the reconstruction, and many of these had more severe accumulated precipitation deficits than the 2012-2014 event (Figure 3b). Approximately 50% of 3-year periods with below average precipitation continue on to last for 4 years or longer.

So there were worse annual droughts (from interpolated data or instrument readings) in 1571, 1580, 1585, 1721, 1765, 1782, 1795, 1829, 1864, 1877, 1898, 1934, 1961, 1990, 2002.

And there were worse three year droughts in 1527-1529, 1735-1737, 1898-1900,

There is also evidence of even longer droughts that last between 4 and 9 consecutive years AND half of all 3 year droughts continue for 4 years or longer.

But this one is the WORST in 1200 years. Um....okay.... #rolleyes

eta: Here's a link to the full study:

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~griffin9/pubs/griffin_anchukaitis_2014_GRL_CAdrought.pdf
Old Judge Creek
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilbur, I truly suspected pretty much what you posted to be the real truth. I am delighted to read your reply!!

Out here you can't believe more than a small percentage of what you hear on the news.

I went to the grocery and wasn't surprised to find out that the "new Safeway" that had the roof cave in is a good 5 miles from "my" new store.

Yes, Miz Nancy, I was (and am) prepared, but my shopping trip saved me a bundle on a whole bunch of my regular groceries.
DCMG #1

Orion
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're starting to get used to the grocery store roof cave-ins around here. Seems to happen every few years. #eyes

http://globalnews.ca/news/1067517/whitecourt-iga-roof-collapses-under-heavy-snow/

The store was closed for a few days last week while they installed some shoring "just in case".

http://www.mytowntoday.ca/2014/12/05/closure-of-local-grocery-store-in-whitecourt/

Worst part, it's our only real grocery store!

Good thing I'm prepared too. #smile

Still trying to figure out why anyone would build a flat roof in snow country! #confused

DCMG #13

"I'm just preparing my impromptu remarks."

- Winston Churchill

I will appeal, not to the freedom of speech or religion, but to the sacred and inalienable right to be left the hell alone.

- Andrew Coyne
Wilbur

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Judge I wasn't sure if my drift was okay.

Yeah I wonder what engineers are consulted with some times with flat roofs and other stupid things. I always wonder if someone decides to pick someone because they were "cheaper" or something when stuff like that happens.
Old Judge Creek
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilbur wrote:
Thanks Judge I wasn't sure if my drift was okay...

Conversations drift... The Campfire is - and always has been that way and frankly while sometimes it's a PITA, the other 99% of the time its wholly beneficial. Ya dun' good.... in fact, at one of our lodge dinners last night, the subject came up and I relayed several salient points in your post and a most enjoyable conversation ensued... and drifted to another topic as conversations will. Typically those dinners are and hour to an hour and a half long - last night were at the table for a delightful three hours.

Again, thanks for the post.
#wink
DCMG #1

Orion
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my daughter's favourite songs.

Normally our tastes of music differ but this is a good'n! This thread reminded me of it.

Between the Raindrops by Lifehouse and Natasha Bedingfield.

Click on the underlined link.

DCMG #13

"I'm just preparing my impromptu remarks."

- Winston Churchill

I will appeal, not to the freedom of speech or religion, but to the sacred and inalienable right to be left the hell alone.

- Andrew Coyne
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The CampFire Forum Index -> Board Issues & News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: