The CampFire Forum Index The CampFire
A self-reliant living discussion board  
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

stupid ransom virus...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The CampFire Forum Index -> Computer Questions? Ask Mahachippy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
litegod

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: stupid ransom virus... Reply with quote

I picked up one of these fine catches the other day, are they ever persistent. My Norton had expired for one whole day, on the second day the locked screen popped up, coincidence I really hope.

purchased a new Norton for this year and eventually got it installed by tricking the virus into allowing me access to the windows. Hitting the reset switch and cancelling the shut down procedure. finally got it loaded, and run a full scan, did not work, used the Norton power erase...did not work, tried to create a safe start usb drive, did not work properly but will try again later.

either the virus grew more smarter or the scans cleared up anything that slowed down the system enough to get access to the desktop but now I cannot get into it again.

I ended up going to some stores today to look at a new tower for browsing the internet. Might go that way just so .I do not have to worry about it for now.

Yehuda Bauer
Wilbur

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh that sucks....I really hate those basta**s. #cussing I really think virus' like that should be grounds for a firing squad.
Mahachippy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried booting into safe mode with networking and downloading/running malwarebytes and microsoft security essentials?

If you know the name of the virus or can identify the process that it runs as then you should probably be able to find a guide online of how to uninstall it.

IMO, Norton isn't terrible but there are so, so many better options out there for A/V programs.

Btw, if you're just looking for a browsing computer you might look at building an AMD APU (socket FM2) system. The new Richland chips are out and offer a decent performance boost over the Trinity chips (though don't get me wrong, the Trinity chips are great too and a tad bit cheaper and for your stated purpose would probably be the way I'd go). Couple say an A8 chip with 8 gigs of ram, a cheap FM2 mother board, a 1 TB gig hdd, cheap case, small psu, an oem dvd drive, and a copy of Win home 7 and you've got a really capable machine for ~$500 USD (or less depending on your component selection) that will beat the pants off of a big box store setup, IMO.

For example:

AMD A8 5600K - $98.24

Kingston Hyper X 8 GB DDR3 - $61.98

MSI FM2 motherboard - $49.99

WD 1 TB Blue HDD - $65.99

NZXT Source 210 case - $39.99

Corsair 430 Watt Modular PSU - $52.99

Samsung DVD Drive - $21.44

Win 7 Home Premium - $90.91

Grand Total: $481.54

The above would handle most anything you could throw at with ease, IMO, with the exception of hardcore gaming/video encoding/etc. Note though that the APU chips do game at low to mid-range settings very nicely with their onboard graphics chip.

Anywho, my two cents... #wink
"Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." Psalms 46:10

Defend the weak, protect both young and old, never desert your friends. Give justice to all, be fearless in battle and always ready to defend the right. Show welcome and good cheer to all of true heart.

Live with no excuses. Love with no regrets.
litegod

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maha I tried booting into safe mode but my little greasy friend was there waiting for me. grrrr

I typically build my own systems.in fact the one I am using currently used to be used as a htpc and it worked great , then Blu-ray players came out with everything built in. it really was state of art when I built it about five years ago. I could upgrade it I guess, or just replace the hdd in it and install a new OS for it.

I was thinking buying retail would be less hassle right now, by the time you buy the parts and assemble it and get a OS license it would be about the same. my buddy is now off shift so I will see if he can figure this thing out. maybe we will utilise an old case I have and build up one.

oh yeah, I think it is justified to use a firing squad on these low life vermin.i am sure they feel justified somehow.

I have given it a few days for me to cool off, no need to rip it apart in a fit of rage.

Yehuda Bauer
litegod

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tried again last night, got the Norton bootable repair disc or whatever it is. was able to access it only through booting directly off the usb stick . did the complete virus scan, it found nothing.

kept trying to scan the system through Norton power erase and it would not even start up, had a very quick blip on the screen telling me it was downloading the program. Left it for quite some time, nothing had changed.

the system is not turned off again after several attempts at this. this system might be turned into a target for axe throwing.

Yehuda Bauer
litegod

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fixed it.....bought a new drive and a windows 8 license and good as new. #rolleyes

Yehuda Bauer
Old Judge Creek
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you're up and running again.

You have my sympathy. I had this happen to me once too often. Microsoft "issues/problems/virus/mal-ware/etc" wore me out and I finally "went Apple".

Fifteen months later, I'm happier than ever that I did "go Apple"... but the learning curve/ transition has indeed, on occasion, been a royal PITA.

OTOH Apple support is second to none IMO and every concern I've had, they remedied PDQ, without trying to pass the buck.
DCMG #1

Old age aint fer sissies...
litegod

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this windows 8 os is definitely another type of critter. it seems to have two sides to the system, it is an app based one plus it has the regular windows interface to do "normal" computer stuff.

some of the old ways of doing things are not there any longer. was doing online support for a dlink device I have( dual bay nas) and the poor lady was trying to tell me an easy way to get the device remapped but I was filtering through ten assorted pages of devices and instructions, it was a challenge. on the older systems it would have taken me about two minutes to get it done. oh well.

figured out a way to push movies or music to other "smart" devices around the house. easier than loading a movie onto a thumb drive and loading it up.

Yehuda Bauer
irv

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, take a look at what you use a computer for, and then answer honestly why you cannot use Linux.

I've been running Linux on all my computers (7 or 8 at last count) with
NO viruses whatsoever in almost 10 years.

So far, however, almost everyone I have suggested this to have been able to come up with some lame excuse.

It's like complaining to your mechanic that your car sputters, skips, and stalls. He suggests that you buy gas WITHOUT water added to it, and you refuse to try that 'because the gas pumps are a different color'.
litegod

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

irv, not saying I could not use a system with Linux installed. it would be interesting to try it out, I am just not familiar at all with it. that's all.

just a different type of operating system.

Yehuda Bauer
Mahachippy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

irv wrote:
Honestly, take a look at what you use a computer for, and then answer honestly why you cannot use Linux.

I've been running Linux on all my computers (7 or 8 at last count) with
NO viruses whatsoever in almost 10 years.

So far, however, almost everyone I have suggested this to have been able to come up with some lame excuse.

It's like complaining to your mechanic that your car sputters, skips, and stalls. He suggests that you buy gas WITHOUT water added to it, and you refuse to try that 'because the gas pumps are a different color'.

When developers port their entire game catalogs to Linux via Steam then I'll be a full believer in Linux - well that and when the workplace moves from Office (yes, I know about Open Office, Libre Office, Etc. but none of them have all of the features of MS Office that often are demanded by those who pay all that money to Microsoft to have).

That being said, I'm experimenting with one of those Android based "stick mini-computers" and hope to play with a Raspberry Pi at some point to get a taste of a Debian distro (Raspbian "wheezy").
"Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." Psalms 46:10

Defend the weak, protect both young and old, never desert your friends. Give justice to all, be fearless in battle and always ready to defend the right. Show welcome and good cheer to all of true heart.

Live with no excuses. Love with no regrets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The CampFire Forum Index -> Computer Questions? Ask Mahachippy All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: