The CampFire Forum Index The CampFire
A self-reliant living discussion board  
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Attention CampFire Members
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The CampFire Forum Index -> Board Issues & News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Old Judge Creek
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Attention CampFire Members Reply with quote

We are Temporarily back up.

Here's all of the information as best as I can explain it:

When Pipedreams accepted ownership of The CampFire from Sharon, he set it up on line as a subset of his business venture which was under his registered domain name NorthlandPhoto.com. That, in itself has caused a few server problems over the years because the board was not an entity unto itself, but a sub set of a larger entity (one folder among many).

As I said in an earlier note, I discovered that campfireboard.com was unregistered and registered it for The CampFire.

There are two primary costs with having a web site. The first is the annual fee for the domain name and the second is the cost of the hosting service and server space.

When our Web Host notified me (i.e. sent me a bill) that NorthlandPhoto.com was expiring and needed to be renewed, I discussed the “easiest way” to move the CampFire data base over to the new name and into its “new” web address identity (campfireboard.com).

I was assured this would be a “piece of cake” but you saw the results. There are two major factors working against us:

1) the current set up is as a “sub set” of a larger organization and finding all the electronic pointers, etc, to reset is simply not happening
2) we are using software that is at least 13 years old and has never been upgraded. It’s as if we were still attempting to run Windows 95.

So, here we are today.

The simple fact is that unless changes are made, the CampFire will simply cease to exist. The data base is needs to be updated to a new version. And I still intend to move the data base out from Northandphoto.com and into campfireboard.com as soon as possible.

My preference is that before we actually make that move. I’m hoping that Chip can set up the new software, load a copy of the data base into it and get it running before we make the changeover.

Regardless, there will probably be even more down time yet to come. Please bear with us. My intention is to keep the CampFire up and running with as few changes as possible… though “changes” there will be.

Further, I will try my best to give everyone a heads up BEFORE a change is made, so you won't be caught unaware.

Thanks,
DCMG #1

Old age aint fer sissies...
Kansas
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judge: How can we help with the finances?
nancy1340
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Judge. I was getting pretty shaky for a while there. #blush

Yeah, what Kansas said.
Manny

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to you and Chip for all the effort and work you're expending to keep our beloved 'fire burning.

As Kansas & Ms Nan said, how can us non techie types contribute so y'all aren't bearing the total burden?

“Happiness depends on ourselves. Maybe it’s not about the happy ending. Maybe it’s about the story.”
Athena Orchard

"Improvise, Adapt and Overcome"
Mantra of US Marines
akraven

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the update and the work behind the scenes. Sounds like we definitely need an update to the system and I would also be glad to contribute.
riverdog

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most good things require patience.... #smile
litegod

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

same goes here as well, just let me know where to send any financial aid.....let me rephrase that, where can i send financial aid so it does not go to the penguins cheeto and dr pepper fund?

just funnin' with ya chip. you have done so much for the board, you deserve all the dr pepper and cheetos we could provide.

we all understand there might be problems with the board, we will not be alarmed and worried and ascared if it does not pop up when requested.we know you are all doing your best.

thank you guys, we all appreciate what you do.

Yehuda Bauer
Bama Dave

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deal me in on that too. I'd really go nuts without this place.
Old Judge Creek
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks, first let me say how much I truly appreciate all of your generous offers to pitch in and share the expense. I very much appreciate it.

The truth is simply that I do not want to have to deal with the very real accounting and tax issues that would follow.

As things stand at the moment, the costs are manageable. If things change, then we can address the issue. The Campfire is FREE to anyone who registers and participation is FREE as well.

Polite discourse is mandatory because (as many of us have just discovered or re-discovered) the Campfire is an online refuge / home where we can find, share, or discuss all things "Self Reliance" related and receive honest answers from real people who have real practical experience.

I thank you all for your support and your participation. Without YOU posting, asking questions, or sharing your ideas and experience, there is no Campfire.
DCMG #1

Old age aint fer sissies...
akraven

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought judge but if someone were to just "make a donation" or "gift" why bother dealing with accounting and taxes? Its not like it would be thousands of dollars. Just trying to help.
weaver
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could we do another online auction like the Campfire knife?
Kismet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be illegal to auction off Chip?

Maybe just for a few months of manual labor...house painting, landscaping, car detailing, maybe basement renovation or asbestos removal?

Indentureship isn't like he's for sale, really, is it?

#mrgreen
akraven

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kismet wrote:
Would it be illegal to auction off Chip?

Maybe just for a few months of manual labor...house painting, landscaping, car detailing, maybe basement renovation or asbestos removal?

Indentureship isn't like he's for sale, really, is it?

#mrgreen

Physical work,,,,like a job or something??? I doubt if that is possible. #mrgreen #mrgreen #mrgreen

No offense just funning with you Chip!
Mahachippy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it folks...methinks another time out is needed! #shakehead #shakehead #mrgreen #lol #lol
"Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." Psalms 46:10

Defend the weak, protect both young and old, never desert your friends. Give justice to all, be fearless in battle and always ready to defend the right. Show welcome and good cheer to all of true heart.

Live with no excuses. Love with no regrets.
litegod

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ojc, thats what i was thinking as well, i have some american cash, i could just send you some of it and you can do with it as you see fit.i do not wish to recieve a receipt or acknowledgement etc.

i would like to help out a little, i am sure this is what everybody else is thinking to. there is no need for one person to bear the weight of all the costs and fees. after all, the weight of the world can be moved with millions of pairs of hands.

Yehuda Bauer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The CampFire Forum Index -> Board Issues & News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: