The CampFire Forum Index The CampFire
A self-reliant living discussion board  
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Old issues of Guns & Ammo's Complete book of Rimfires

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Plainsman*

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Old issues of Guns & Ammo's Complete book of Rimfires Reply with quote

Hello!

I am looking for old issues of Guns and Ammo's "Complete Book of the .22 Rimfire" or "Complete book of Rimfires".

I have this year's issue, 2009 and one from 1997 and one from 1999. I am not sure when they started this special issue nor which year's that they came out. But I'd like to get a hold of any/all others that have been printed if possible. If you have any information or a copy you'd let go, please contact me. Emailing me directly would get the quickest response.
Manny

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI,
I remember one of these far enough back that Bob Milek was the primary, and possibly the only author. Seems to me it was the early '80's time period. I don't think at that time it was anything more than a special issue, not like the yearly run they seem to be doing now.

“Happiness depends on ourselves. Maybe it’s not about the happy ending. Maybe it’s about the story.”
Athena Orchard

"Improvise, Adapt and Overcome"
Mantra of US Marines
Old Judge Creek
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A-yup, I saw the 2009 Book of the Rimfire in Barnes & Noble just yesterday. "They'ye" been doing that for a few years.

The oldest I have is the 1978 The Gun Digest Book of the 22 Rimfire by John Lachuk

Then, there's the 1981 Shooting Times Complete Guide to 22 Rimfires (my favorite of the 5)

followed by 1982 Guns and Ammo Book of the 22 Rimfire by Bob Milek G&A Field Editor (2nd most useful of the 5 IMO)

then, Sam Fadala's 1989 The Book of the Twenty-Two The All American Caliber

and, 1997 Guns and Ammo Complete Book of the 22 Rimfire.

Frankly, I reference these books regularly so I'm not interested in selling them, but I posted them so you'd at least have some reference points as you build your library.

FWIW: of those I have, I find the Sam Fadala book to be of the least use to me.
DCMG #1

Old age aint fer sissies...
Plainsman*

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Thanks OJC! Reply with quote

The reference helps! I didn't know about the Shooting Times one at all and didn't know how far back these issues could be found! #smile

I have a copy of John Lachuk's book, but it must have been a printer's error as it's missing the first 32 pages! #frown

I also have Sam Fadala's book! #smile Both of the above are great reads!

Thanks!
Old Judge Creek
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P-man, you're most welcome, Pard.

I'm happy that I could be of some service.
DCMG #1

bigbore442001

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I have some of those somewhere. Milek was one of my favorite writers. He seemed very down to earth and wrote about things that the average man could do.
Plainsman*

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Another author... Reply with quote

A Landis popped up in another thread with another book! I'll have to keep a look out for his works too!

Thanks for the references guys!

.22's and .44's are my mainstay and with what's been happening, I need to continue concentrating on both. Now if the pocketbook could keep up with the stuff on the shelves today!!

I stopped by three places yesterday and today, local shop and two Walmarts. PILES of AMMO and POWDER!!!! I ended up with six 550 Bulk Packs of .22LR and two boxes of .22WMR. I was drooling at the one Walmart, 4 CASES of Federal with the SAME LOT #'s!!! :o I would have liked the whole stack! They limit you to 6 boxes of same ammo at once! #frown Not like I "need" them, but the more I have stashed the better now!!
Old Judge Creek
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Another author... Reply with quote

Plainsman* wrote:
...I stopped by three places yesterday and today, local shop and two Walmarts. PILES of AMMO and POWDER!!!! I ended up with six 550 Bulk Packs of .22LR and two boxes of .22WMR. I was drooling at the one Walmart, 4 CASES of Federal with the SAME LOT #'s!!!...

Thanks for the heads up, P-Man. Sounds as if a trip to Wally Whirlt is on tomorrow's menu. You cannot have enough 22 rimfire stashed away. That's gotta be about THE most impor-tra-tan-tist caliber of all. #mrgreen
DCMG #1

Plainsman*

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: I'll agree with you there, OJC! Reply with quote

If push came to shove, I do believe that if a person had "only" a .22, most everything could be accomplished...Of course, it isn't perfect, nor legal for everything, but it 'could' do it!! And in many situations if one is forced to just that .22 could it could garner something better if one wished! #wink

I am also a believer in a variety of .22 ammo! I like CB Longs for quiet stuff, heavy bullets for heavier "targets" and the Bulk packs for general usage/varminting/plinking/practicing/etc.
44 flattop

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: I'll agree with you there, OJC! Reply with quote

Plainsman* wrote:
If push came to shove, I do believe that if a person had "only" a .22, most everything could be accomplished...Of course, it isn't perfect, nor legal for everything, but it 'could' do it!! And in many situations if one is forced to just that .22 could it could garner something better if one wished! #wink

I'm with you there, Plainsman. 100% #smile

Plainsman* wrote:
.22's and .44's are my mainstay and with what's been happening, I need to continue concentrating on both.

They are my mainstay too. Also the .444. And the 20 gauge. But above all else, the .44. #look

'I guess if I could have had but one rifle during all the years I hunted, it would have been the .44 (Winchester) .....it was no long range cartridge.....but for just plain every day use to put meat in the pot, it was a difficult cartridge to beat.'
**John Meyers-Soldier, Hunter, Rifleman**
Hank Dodge

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped at the Wallyworld in Carson City the other day....the ammo shelves were bare.
#frown

Frontier Liquors had a pretty good selection still. Their prices were high, but they had ammunition on hand. They were limiting the amount that a person could buy in a day though. I asked about primers and was laughed at.
#shakehead
DCMG #3

"Shoot them big guns.....you can see the holes better!"
Plainsman*

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Walmart... Reply with quote

The various Walmarts get their shipments in on different days from the sounds of it! It appears ours is Monday, I knew of one that was on Tues. and another on Thurs. so you may have to find out when your local one gets stuff in.

As to the .44's, I also am speaking of my .444 Marlin. I based my whole battery on .223/.224" and .4295/.430". I wanted to keep things as simple as possible when I realized I couldn't afford my caliber habit!!

At one time I had .22s/l/lr, .22WMR, .223, .25-06, .30-30, .308, .30-06, .44spcl/mag, .444Marlin and .45ACP. These didn't end my obsession and I wanted to expand into .25-35, .38/.357, .40S&W, .41mag, .338-06, .35 Whelen and .50BMG to cover everything I wanted covered.

I sat down and considered what I really needed to cover everything I wanted covered and settled on the .22LR and .44spcl/magnum, .444Marlin. I am slowly expanding again to cover some gaps, hence the .22WMR and I need to find another .25-06.

The thing I like about the .44 setup is that I can load for everything from small game up to the largest of North American game and use many components across the board. The Hornady 265gr is an awesome bullet and I cast 240-310gr for all three. I have a wide selection of bullets from various manufacturers for them as well. But really like 240gr SWC's for plinking and 265-290 gr for hunting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The CampFire Forum Index -> The Flea Market All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: