The CampFire Forum Index The CampFire
A self-reliant living discussion board  
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ideas on removing excess waterproofing on oilskin?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The CampFire Forum Index -> Gear, Gear, Gear!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bajatacoma

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:27 pm    Post subject: Ideas on removing excess waterproofing on oilskin? Reply with quote

So I retreated an old oilskin coat I have but a) having never tried that before and b) being a general idiot, I put too much on it. I've left it outside in our 90+ degree weather for a couple of days and I've tried using a heat gun and rubbing it down with an old towel but it's still far too oily/waxy. Anyone have any bright ideas on removing some of the waterproofing?

I'm thinking of getting or making a laundry bag out of fairly thick cotton, putting the coat in the bag and tossing it in the dryer for fifteen minutes or so. I do not want to funkify the dryer though and it's pretty much a wanker move to take it to the local coin laundry.

Take away points- do not use a foam paint brush to paint the stuff on, it puts on too much. #smashblue
Old Judge Creek
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baja,
I sincerely wish I had some worthwhile advice to suggest, but I do not.

Please keep us posted. I have a very nice Australian made Dri-z-a-bone that's seen me through what rains we have out in california for at least 30-35 years now but its never reached the point where I was ready to put more of the whateveritis 'paste' they sold me with the coat all those many years ago.
DCMG #1

Old age aint fer sissies...
nancy1340
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baha, paper would soak oil up better than a towel. Maybe brown paper like grocery sacks.
Bajatacoma

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OJC- yep, this is a Dri-z-a-bone. One of the guys I was working with down there gave me his old one.

Nancy- what do you think about putting it in one of the big brown paper bags (if I can find one) and putting that in a sack to help protect the dryer? I've thought about throwing a towel in with it too.

Not like I need or would want to wear the thing right now, it's in the 90s here even when it rains, so it's just hanging in the garage.

I should have just bought one of the bars of oilskin treatment and rubbed it down with that. #smashblue
nancy1340
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were me I'd lay some cardboard down, the coat, more cardboard or paper and then heavy blankets or rugs.

But if you want to try the dryer use the delicate and low heat settings.

Oh I just thought of something........ Get a large enough rubber tub to hold the coat (not nessassarly flat but folded), lay down some unscented kitty litter, the coat and more kitty litter. That stuff will soak up anything.
Bajatacoma

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the kittylitter would leave clay marks. I'll grab some cardboard next time I'm at the grocery and try that! It's been in the 90s here so no shortage of heat.
nancy1340
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get the kind that has clay in it. Isn't there some that's basically saw dust?
Bajatacoma

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, I'll ask my sister, she's got cats.
irv

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auto supply stores sell something called "oil-absorbing pads". Might check them out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The CampFire Forum Index -> Gear, Gear, Gear! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: