The CampFire Forum Index The CampFire
A self-reliant living discussion board  
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any of you seen these survival vehicles

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ol Mose

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Any of you seen these survival vehicles Reply with quote

that they are making and being reported about in the survival mags that are on the news stands? At a hefty price for a magazine I might add. Some of the vehicles are +$250K without armor..............!!! If I had that kinda dough I'd hire an ex Force Recon or something to keep my ass safe...... And just buy a jeep. Ok, Ok, Ok....... (channeling Leo Getz here) a 3/4 ton long box pickup... with armored sides. And a trailer full of gas. After the TEOTWAWKI there ain't gonna be a lot of people to impress with the vehicle........... The guy with a footlocker full of vegetable seeds is gonna get the girl...........Or maybe a footlocker full of Grey Goose......... #kiss At my age I'm just gonna look for a gal who has a lot of pudding boxes stashed away and maybe a Bass-O-Matic.......... #eyes And the man who can keep the Kimberly-Clark toilet paper factory running will be King.................. #cool
And don't tell me to just go into the woods and use foliage.... Done that many, many times with poor and sometimes disastrous results. I"m immune to poison ivy but unfortunately my hunting buddy is not.. Lets just say that the last time I saw anything that big and round and red through the woods it was a blood moon........ Hmmm.... guess that might be kinda redundant. Sorry. Which is why early English public loos had a stick to wipe or knock away the errant soldier who wouldn't go to muster. Which gave us the phrase. "shitty end of the stick" 'cause in a darkened public outhouse it was hard to see which end of the stick you were to grab. It's also the reason why Europeans invented the Bidet.
Which originally was a couple of serfs pumping an primitive wooden pump to create water pressure. Years later it became the ancestor of our modern fire department and pumping truck. Here in the Colonies we just squished along as best we could until and couple of guys named Sears & Roebuck built a retail store and started sending out catalogs with hundreds and hundreds of pages of things to buy. A new one every year. Bravo for American ingenuity....
riverdog

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Aussies have made an art out of bugout survival vehicles. If I can find a specific link I'll post it.

I have a Wrangler, the wife has a 4Runnner. I like the Jeep for its simplicity. But after '05 Chrysler put too many fingers in the manufacturing and they got cheap, qualitywise. Buy and older one. Otherwise the Toyota, either a Four Runner or a FJ are a much better choice for a build base.

I have a buddy who regularly lives out of his bug-out build. He needed to add a trailer.
Old Judge Creek
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I traded my 86 Vette for a brand-spankin' new 4 cyl Wrangler TJ in ragtop 1998. It was dark green. I did NOT jack it up or run oversized tires on it.

Off road, in the city, on beach sands, in the desert, on my daily 35 mile (each way) commute on California highways, no mater what, the TJ served me well. The wind noise at highway speeds was a bit above OSHA levels requiring hearing protection. Kali and I measured that level with the same equipment we used to monitor noise levels on manufacturing floors. It was also a "magnet for trouble". The rear of the top was zipper closed. Yet would be thieves slash three tops in 10 years to gain entry. It had 3 recall notices (head replacement, a valve problem, and I forget the 3rd) and a new radiator and some medium level repairs at around 80K miles. I can honestly say I enjoyed the Wrangler much more than I did the Corvette.

I "almost" wish I'd not sold it in 2008... but I did. However not sell it until I found a suitable replacement. I was looking for a very similar wheel base, 4 WD, hard top, MUCH less road-noisy....

OTOH: at the turn of the century, after we'd acquired the 1881 Ranch, I needed a serious 4 WD vehicle 1) pull the orchestra trailer (a piece of cake for even most sedans); 2) pull an RV trailer hither and yon, and over the high Sierras and back; 3) handle desert sands and Sierra snow

Following Hank's lead I bought a Dodge 2500 Cummins Diesel 4x4. Man oh man, has it ever been worth it. I do love that truck. Using cruise control, at the 60mpg mark on the speedometer, the mileage waffles between 22 and 24 mpg. With regular driving around town I do well to get 16.

I'd probably use this truck for a bug out vehicle.

Then again, my replacement for the Jeep Wrangler is probably what I choose if I could have only 1 vehicle. It has lasted me 6 months longer now than the Jeep did. As with the Jeep, there've been 3 factory recalls (in this case two air bag and one door lock) zero repairs although I'll be replacing the serpentine belt within the next month or so.

What izzit???

Oh, its a Honda CRV. Great little car for me. And even with the oil slick streets and highways in the Fall here, the automatic 4WD has performed perfectly. I've never felt a slip.

Still think my survival vehicle will be the Dodge though... with my mountain bike tossed in the back #wink
DCMG #1

Old age aint fer sissies...
riverdog

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoy my 2010 Wrangler Sahara.... even if it has a van engine. It is a better ride and a bit quieter than the previous models, but not as well made. Canoe on top, bike on the back, it'll drive places I shouldn't. But, on the street I think my RAV4 is a more dependable choice, and it has a very capable 4 wheel drive system. Just not as cool.
Old Judge Creek
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RD, your post reminds me of times long past.

I bought a new 66 Mustang in 66. I carried my 18 foot Seminole canoe on a rack that mounted into the rain gutters above the side windows (remember those??)

IIRC the canoe overlapped the Mustang both fore and aft #lol #lol but the set up got the job done. That was when I learned how to tie a decent Trucker's Knot.

Thinking on it, it seems like yesterday
DCMG #1

Orion
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife is in the market for a new vehicle to replace her old one. She has decided to go with a Toyota. I tried talking her into a 4Runner off road because IMO they're cooler and I may have to drive it #look, but she's decided on a new Rav 4.

DCMG #13

"I'm just preparing my impromptu remarks."

- Winston Churchill

I will appeal, not to the freedom of speech or religion, but to the sacred and inalienable right to be left the hell alone.

- Andrew Coyne
Ol Mose

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RAVs are nice. Just be glad it isn't a Prius..........................
Old Judge Creek
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warning - this is pretty repetitive but if nothing else means I'm fairly consistent

My most favorite all purpose vehicle is my Honda CRV. I've had it since 2008 and would buy another in a heartbeat. Its a full time 'on demand' 4WD and has served me well in "some snow", but more especially during the last 11 California "rainy seasons" when all the oils dripped on freeways for the past 6-7 months of not-a-drop-of rain floats aid oils back to the surface of the roadways creating some of the most hazardous driving conditions I've ever experienced just about anywhere.

A few other friends of mine own Rav4s and they love their choices as well.

Bug out? The good stuff is still good stuff: Man, I bought that Dodge Cummins Diesel, 2500, quad cab, 4x4 back in 2001. I'd be hard pressed to find a better choice IMO.

Recently, my oldest so was looking for a truck. Two dealers in two different cities saw my Ram and offered me $25K. And rarely does a month go by without an offer to buy note or two being stuck under a wiper blade. Seems my truck is 'collectible' - the result of pure dumb luck rather than planning and foresight - #lol
DCMG #1

Manny

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put about 150,000 miles on two CRVís in about 4 years and had most excellent service from them. Very comfortable, surefooted in the worst of weather, easy for my both my mom and uncle to get in with very limited mobility. My biggest problems with them were not very much payload a little short on space to haul an don my earlier model, lack of a flat load floor in the back with the seat folded, an issue I believe the newer models have corrected.

I also got great service from my 2013 Honda Pilot, most all of the benefits of the CRVís with MUCH more room and hauling capacity. I only got rid of it because I wanted a pick up with honest to goodness true four wheel drive, not just all wheel drive. I will give either an excellent endorsement if they fit your needs. I also recently talked to a gent with one of the new Honda Ridgelines with tows his bass boat with one and loves it to death.

My ride these days is a 2017 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab long bed with an ARE high top cap. I got the TRD off-road model and once I get some better tires on it, I donít think thereís much that could stop it. I do mis some of the roominess of the Pilot, but love the narrower width over a full size truck. It does great for my needs and puts a big Ďol smile on my face just bopping around in it. Kinda feels like Iím ready for whatever adventure might present itself.

ďHappiness depends on ourselves. Maybe itís not about the happy ending. Maybe itís about the story.Ē
Athena Orchard

"Improvise, Adapt and Overcome"
Mantra of US Marines
Orion
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My BIL and his wife are on their second CRV. They still have the first one (2000 vintage) and use it for running around town. It has over 250,000 miles (400,000 km) on it.
They use the new(er) one for longer trips. I believe it's a 2016 model.

Very reliable vehicles by all accounts.

I've been a GMC pickup fan all my life. I've had really good experiences with them.
I bought a 2018 Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4X4 last year for work. It's the first new vehicle I've bought in years. I usually buy two year old lease returns.
I still have my old 2007 Sierra Crew Cab 4X4 as well.

DCMG #13

- Winston Churchill

I will appeal, not to the freedom of speech or religion, but to the sacred and inalienable right to be left the hell alone.

- Andrew Coyne
Old Judge Creek
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pickup before I bought the Dodge Ram was a GMC Sierra. IIRC it was a '95 and boy was it nice. It served me and my orchestra well indeed.

The ONLY reason I turned it loose was buying the 1881 Ranch I realized PDQ that I needed a 4WD over in the desert and in the high Sierra snows. I was leery about going with a Diesel but Hank and another Cowboy pard sold me on the investment. 'n' all ya'll know how much I hate that thang... #rolleyes

and I agree that the CRV is just about The Best run-around-town vehicle I've ever owned. Got lucky there too. #wink
DCMG #1

riverdog

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After five Fords, two Dodges and two GMC's I bought a 2016 4-Runner (new), and a 2016 Tacoma (used). Best build quality and warranties of any truck I've ever owned. I had no complaints about my other trucks other than GMC's lust for rust, but the Toyotas are just better vehicles. Oil changes are a pain because of their modular proprietary filters. The 4-Runner requires a lift because of the under body panels, but the dealer does the service for only $10 more than it costs me to do it myself.

If my Honda Element SC had been all wheel drive I would still have it. Best 'do almost everything' vehicle I've ever seen.
Orion
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Judge Creek wrote:
...I was leery about going with a Diesel but Hank and another Cowboy pard sold me on the investment. 'n' all ya'll know how much I hate that thang... #rolleyes

I almost went with a diesel in the new truck but Wilma is sensitive to diesel exhaust. Gives her a nasty headache. I figure I'm already enough of a headache for her so I went with a gas engine. #lol

DCMG #13

- Winston Churchill

- Andrew Coyne
Manny

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orion wrote:
Old Judge Creek wrote:
...I was leery about going with a Diesel but Hank and another Cowboy pard sold me on the investment. 'n' all ya'll know how much I hate that thang... #rolleyes

I almost went with a diesel in the new truck but Wilma is sensitive to diesel exhaust. Gives her a nasty headache. I figure I'm already enough of a headache for her so I went with a gas engine. #lol

I make my living off of Diesel engines and sorry to say Iíd have a hard time recommending any of the new pickup diesels unless you REALLY work a truck hard or put on beaucoup mile. Those trucks like OJCís that were so hard working, fuel efficient and still within the affordable range for the average Joe are no more. The high cost, poor fuel efficiency, new mandated emissions and complexities of todayís offerings make it very hard to justify their purchase economically. New gas engines however have improved immensely over old offerings and offer very good power and performance, decent fuel economy, good longevity and far more reasonable maintenance costs.

ďHappiness depends on ourselves. Maybe itís not about the happy ending. Maybe itís about the story.Ē
Athena Orchard

"Improvise, Adapt and Overcome"
Mantra of US Marines
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The CampFire Forum Index -> Transportation All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: