The CampFire Forum Index The CampFire
A self-reliant living discussion board  
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CU evaluates portable Honda vs Garbor Freight generators

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lone Arranger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: CU evaluates portable Honda vs Garbor Freight generators Reply with quote

In a Aug 25, 2018 Consumer Reports evaluation, the Harbor Freight "Predator" 1600W portable generator "compares favorably" to Honda's 1600W equivalent generator. The Honda costs $999 whereas the Predator costs $499. Both have a 2000W surge rating. Both are "very, very quiet". Both have two power outlets, similar sized gas tanks, fuel gauges and low oil shut offs with indicators. Both generators are parallel capable so you can couple two or more them for additional output (for the the price of the Honda, you could have two of the Harbor Freight units). In the most important test — power delivery — the Honda earns a rating of Excellent, while the Predator is rated Very Good by Consumers.

The Honda has a three year warranty. The Harbor Freight unit only comes with a 90 day warranty but a two year extended warranty is available for a nominal price.

Consumer Report: https://www.yahoo.com/news/harbor-freight-generator-really-beat-100244375.html

Harbor Freight Ad: https://www.harborfreight.com/2000-Watt-Super-Quiet-Inverter-Generator-62523.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiNTA1MDAxMjYiLCJza3UiOiI2MjUyMyIsImlzIjoiNDQ5Ljk5IiwicHJvZHVjdF9p%0D%0AZCI6IjExNzg4In0%3D%0D%0A

"The 50-50-90 rule. Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there’s a 90% probability you’ll get it wrong”.

Andy Rooney
Old Judge Creek
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!!

That's a bombshell! I've wished for many years that I'd gone with a pair of Honda 2K instead of the Honda 3000 I bought. The 2K would have filled every requirement the orchestra required for outdoor gigs...
DCMG #1

Old age aint fer sissies...
Bajatacoma

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HF's Predator engine series seem to get good reviews overall. They're popular with the go-kart/mini-bike crowd* as well as the long tail boat motor (Thai-style) folks and there are a goodly amount of performance parts out there for them. IIRC, they're copies of Honda engines (I know that some of the Lifan engines are). In fact, my best friend put one of the long tail kits together with a Predator 6.5hp. The kit came from eBay and the motors from HF. He uses it during duck seasons on his 14' John boat and has been really happy with the performance. He uses the 20hp Yamaha during the rest of the year. Even HF's cheap 2 stroke generator gets decent reviews- surprising for a generator that you can find on sale for under $100. On a side note, their Vulcan series welders are also getting good reviews, especially their multi-process welder.

I've got a 3000w generator (or maybe it's 3500, I can't recall right now) but like OJC, I wish I had the smaller Honda- being smaller and a lot lighter it'd be a lot more useful for me and would get used more. Mine is too big to load and unload easily and takes up way too much space in the back of my truck. I may have to give the HF version a look.

*For some reason I've been thinking I need to build myself a go-kart or mini-bike. I never was allowed to have one as a kid although I got to ride my friend's. Something else I need like another hole in the head. #smashblue
Lone Arranger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first posted this information regarding the Predator 2000W generator, I forgot to mention it was on sale at my local San Jose Harbor Freight for $449 with presentation of a special coupon included in the ad. These specials seem to vary from day to day though and I am unable to find that coupon today. However, if you're in the market for one of these and in no hurry, it may reappear so check their ads frequently.

HF also has a 20% off coupon that always seems to be available and is good for most merchandise, but in reading the fine print it excludes many larger, more expensive items including the Predator line.

"The 50-50-90 rule. Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there’s a 90% probability you’ll get it wrong”.

Andy Rooney
Bajatacoma

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're on sale right now for $449- coupon about halfway down this page.

https://www.harborfreight.com/savings_coupons.html
Bajatacoma

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This months coupons for their 3500W and the 2 cycle mini.

https://www.harborfreight.com/savings_coupons.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The CampFire Forum Index -> The Homestead All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: