The CampFire Forum Index The CampFire
A self-reliant living discussion board  
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

W.C. the movie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The CampFire Forum Index -> The Media Room - Arts & Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ol Mose

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:47 am    Post subject: W.C. the movie Reply with quote

Just saw "Darkest Hour" at the second run theater no less............... It didn't last long at the regular run theater here....... Don't know why, it was amazing in all respects. I may have to add it to my permanent collection when it comes out in DVD. Thoughts?
Manny

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it a couple weeks ago and was enthralled. Oldman was brilliant as Churchill and the realization of just how close GB was to defeat was really brought home.

Churchill is truly one of the giants of the last century' if not all centuries. A man who rose up to shoulder staggering burdens at a time when he was needed most. When the future of the world could have been so very, very bleak but for his efforts. As the great man himself said so eloquently:

“It’s not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what’s required."

There is no doubt that he met this standard.

Probably my favorite line of the the movie was at the very end when Churchill roused the Parliament with his "Never Surrender" speech and a befuddled opponent asked "What just happened" To which Halifax replied "Winston. He just mobilized the english language and sent it into battle" As I've heard said before, if it didn't happen it should've.

A most excellent movie in my estimation and one well worth adding to the library.

“Happiness depends on ourselves. Maybe it’s not about the happy ending. Maybe it’s about the story.”
Athena Orchard

"Improvise, Adapt and Overcome"
Mantra of US Marines
Old Judge Creek
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW: the DVD of The Darkest Hour is scheduled for release in three weeks... Feb 27, 2018
DCMG #1

Old age aint fer sissies...
Ol Mose

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Judge. I'll watch for it. It made me want to get a Bio or Auto bio of him. I've been just reading American History books for awhile now. I read about him in the Afgan war when he was a correspondent but nothing else. I know he was captured and escaped in the Boer war.
Manny

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started reading "The Last Lion, Defender Of The Realm, 1940-1965" by William Manchester & Paul Reid. It's the third of a three part biography of Sir Winston covering the time period of "Darkest Hour's" when he ascended to power until the end of his life. A dense and comprehensive tome of 1053 pages, I'm currently on page 37, so I expect to be busy for quite some time. So far it is totally engrossing, a book and story to be savored, not rushed. Being curious to see if the level of storytelling would be maintained for the entirety of the book, I've paged through and read snippets here and there, and every time I'm immediately seduced into wanting to read more. So I'm going to stop doing that and read this amazing work in the order the author's intended and do it in small bites so as to prolong the enjoyment.

“Happiness depends on ourselves. Maybe it’s not about the happy ending. Maybe it’s about the story.”
Athena Orchard

"Improvise, Adapt and Overcome"
Mantra of US Marines
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The CampFire Forum Index -> The Media Room - Arts & Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: