The CampFire Forum Index The CampFire
A self-reliant living discussion board  
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I R officially a Hillbilly!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The CampFire Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manny

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:59 am    Post subject: I R officially a Hillbilly! Reply with quote

I've had my suspicions about me for quite some time; the stubbornness, a willingness to hold a grudge when wronged, love of The Dukes of Hazard (especially Daisy Duke), the way my foot will start tapping to banjo music...... The signs were there to see, but I thought "naw, I'm a Buckeye boy, hillbillies don't live in Ohio.."

Well I've come to find I was wrong all these years and YES, hillbillies DO live in Ohio.... in fact the eastern part of the state is lousy with hillbillies. And now I've got proof! This listing shows all the counties, broken down by state of the whole of Appalachia. And damned if I haven't spent my entire 57 years living smack dab in Appalachia as indicated by the list below.

Ohio counties that are part of Appalachia:
Adams, Ashtabula, Athens, Belmont, Brown, Carroll, Clermont, Columbiana, Coshocton, Gallia, Guernsey, Harrison, Highland, Hocking, Holmes, Jackson, Jefferson, Lawrence, Mahoning, Meigs, Monroe, Morgan, Muskingum, Noble, Perry, Pike, Ross, Scioto, Trumbull, Tuscarawas, Vinton, and Washington

That breakout was pulled from this list:
https://www.arc.gov/counties

I've lived in Mahoning county my entire life, flanked by Columbiana & Trumbull with Ashtabula to the north. I always knew we were near the northern part of Appalachia, just never knew we were part of it.

“Happiness depends on ourselves. Maybe it’s not about the happy ending. Maybe it’s about the story.”
Athena Orchard

"Improvise, Adapt and Overcome"
Mantra of US Marines
Old Judge Creek
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well congrats on ya, Manny. Most of us knew all along that your are and have been a standup guy.

#confused So... #confused

Y'all from the Hatfield or the McCoy side of the fracas?

#look jis wanna-be ass-olute-lee clear about this

'n' yer mighty right about Daisy Duke in her younger dais.

'n' BTW:

Yer CampFire Cuzin' KentuckyJbird's avatar??

Thats him sitting behind the wheel of one of the very real General Lee Dodge Chargers used on the Dukes of Hazard show. This one is at Cooter's Garage - a Dukes of Hazard Museum and at the end of the day, one day at a visit, Cooter tossed JBird the keys and asked him to put the General in the garage for the night.
DCMG #1

Old age aint fer sissies...
nancy1340
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the tribe Manny.
Manny

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Judge Creek wrote:
Well congrats on ya, Manny. Most of us knew all along that your are and have been a standup guy.

#confused So... #confused

Y'all from the Hatfield or the McCoy side of the fracas?

#look jis wanna-be ass-olute-lee clear about this

'n' yer mighty right about Daisy Duke in her younger dais.

'n' BTW:

Yer CampFire Cuzin' KentuckyJbird's avatar??

Thats him sitting behind the wheel of one of the very real General Lee Dodge Chargers used on the Dukes of Hazard show. This one is at Cooter's Garage - a Dukes of Hazard Museum and at the end of the day, one day at a visit, Cooter tossed JBird the keys and asked him to put the General in the garage for the night.

Very cool about Cuzzin J-bird and the General. That Cooter always did strike me as a stand up kind of guy.

I'll have too study more on the Hatfield or McCoy, being late to the tribe not sure on that. I will say that I lean strongly to whichever side Daisy supports #look

“Happiness depends on ourselves. Maybe it’s not about the happy ending. Maybe it’s about the story.”
Athena Orchard

Mantra of US Marines
Manny

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nancy1340 wrote:
Welcome to the tribe Manny.
Thanks Ms Nancy #kiss

No wonder I've always felt so at home below the Mason Dixon....

Athena Orchard

Mantra of US Marines
Ol Mose

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whee Doggies...................!! Do ya have a washer and dryer on the porch? Or are you a Gentrified Hillbilly? As far a Daisy Duke goes..... Every male south of the 49th parallel likes Daisy. And probably some north of it too. Although north of it I'm not sure Daisy Duke's are common attire, what with the black flies, Skeeters and weather............... But Congratulations just the same. Now, how many strings on your banjo?
Manny

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found this listed in the local paper website:

http://www.vindy.com/news/2017/sep/29/board-oks-m-loan-to-film-movie/

It looks like my hometown is going to be the location for a coming of age in Appalachia movie....

Apparently the news about us being Hillbilly's got around and we're so good that we're movie worthy....

Athena Orchard

Mantra of US Marines
Wilbur

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this is quite the conversation now isn't it. #lol

My jeep in HS (and after) had a stars and bars license plate on the front (one which I still have donchaknow). And Daisy was always admired. #wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The CampFire Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: