The CampFire Forum Index The CampFire
A self-reliant living discussion board  
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rabies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The CampFire Forum Index -> Hunting - Fishing - Trapping
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coureur De Bois

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Rabies Reply with quote

Has anyone else here been bitten by a wild animal and had to undergo the series of shots required to prevent rabies ?
Ol Mose

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#rose #rose My sympathies to you. Dating is dangerous now a days #wink
Not to belittle your painful experience, but laughter as they say............
nancy1340
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CDB, Not me but my cousin did when she was a teen. It wasn't all that bad she said and from what I understand it's even improved since then.

I did have a great uncle die from rabies in the around 1890. He and his brothers were out hunting and they had him hold the dog so he wouldn't chase what ever it was they were hunting. The boy was about 8 and had a small scratch on his forehead. The dog licked it and that was all it took. They didn't know the dog had contracted rabies as he wasn't showing any symptoms yet.

This was in Missouri. I guess they came and got the boy after the dog went mad and the boy got sick they figured out what had happened. His parent's were not allowed to even see him before he died. But then I can't imagine parent needing to see that.
Coureur De Bois

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has improved
I got bit by a red fox while trying to put it in a cage with a catch pole.
The fox looked normal to me but knowing that once the symptoms appear you are dead and just don't know it yet because there is no cure for rabies.
so I had to get the shots.
they don't give them in the stomach any more.
Initially I got 7 shots the first day
then 1 shot every 7 days for 28 days.
My insurance covered all but about 50.00 of the cost.
The cost is the frightening part as the total cost exceeded 5000.00.
Was told to go to a hospital as a doctors office couldn't provide the treatment.
Read somewhere that in a lot of other countries they don't vaccinate their dogs and cats and other animals against rabies but vaccinate humans instead on a regular basis and the cost is minimal .

Last edited by Coureur De Bois on Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wilbur

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang...scary stories. Sorry to hear that. I've heard it's painful too but (fortunately) have no experience with it. Glad the insurance covered so much too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The CampFire Forum Index -> Hunting - Fishing - Trapping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: