The CampFire Forum Index The CampFire
A self-reliant living discussion board  
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Izula's Little Brother

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The CampFire Forum Index -> Gear, Gear, Gear!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orion
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: The Izula's Little Brother Reply with quote

I was perusing the Bushcraft Canada website last week when I saw that they had the ESEE Candiru kit on sale for a really good price.

I have an Izula that I mounted to my Chiappa Little Badger and an Izula 2 that I use as a backup knife in my hunting pack but I've always liked the thought of having a Candiru as a kit/neck knife; so, seeing it on sale, I just couldn't resist getting one.

The knife arrived in the mail on Friday but I didn't get a chance to really examine it until today.

Here is a comparison picture with the Izula.

The blade is a sabre ground drop point whereas the Izula has a flat grind.

Some measurements.

Izula:
6 1/4" total length, 2 5/8" blade length, 1 1/8" blade depth, 5/32" thick, 1095 carbon steel (also available in 440C stainless).

Candiru:
5 1/8" total length, 2" blade length, 1" blade depth, 1/8" thick, 1095 carbon steel.

The Candiru kit comes with a plastic sheath, belt clip, Chicago screws, a length of 550 paracord, a ferrocerium/magnesium rod combo, whistle, two split rings (one large & one small), a snap hook and a cord lock for the paracord, as well as the standard ESEE plastic card with survival tips.

The Izula kit, IIRC came with all the same items.

This little knife came shaving sharp and looks like the same excellent quality as all the other Rowen made ESEE knives I own.

This knife (in its sheath) is small enough to carry in a pocket and that's probably what I'll do with it.
I've always been a little leery of hanging anything around my neck.
I was probably hanged in a previous life. #lol

DCMG #13

"I'm just preparing my impromptu remarks."

- Winston Churchill

I will appeal, not to the freedom of speech or religion, but to the sacred and inalienable right to be left the hell alone.

- Andrew Coyne
Old Judge Creek
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orion, I was going post that I added a little Candiru to my kit last year but when I looked, I bought it in March of 2015.

I bought the scales as well and find they make this little knife more useable although, truth told, I've rarely actually put the blade to use. Never-the-less, it's there when I need it and despite its small size its a slick little fixed blade, strong as can be and, as you noted, carries well in a pocket. Mine 'lives' on the strap of my Maxpedition Jumbo, which is my "around town" Get Home Bag since that shoulder bag holds a variety of city dweller things while not attracting undue attention.

Anyway, I prefer the strength and safety of a decent fixed blade over any folder every time.

Now my apologies for the hi-jack, but I'd like to add:
I'm like you are about wearing a blade around my neck. I do have a sheathed, naked handled Izula on a proper string for around the neck wear that lives atop my dresser with keys etc, specifically designated for SHTF wear/use. And lemme tellya on Feb 21,22,23 & 24 when San Jose flooded, I was mere feet from the torrent and had my gear and dogs ready to evac the AO.

It was an excellent real life drill and pointed out several things that were 100% unsatisfactory. The goods were packed in my 'ready room' but the BOB was still "under construction" i.e. it took me 20 minutes to find my box of CR 123 batteries. I need those batteries for my Surefire flashlights and for my SteriPen UV water purifier - and the rising flood water was being announced on the radio & TV as contaminated with everything including raw sewage. I have 32 gallons of tap water stored for earthquake so it wasn't a true emergency, but it sure pointed pout several shortcomings.
DCMG #1

Old age aint fer sissies...
Wilbur

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they "lock" in the sheath where you could carry them upside down if you wanted? I am looking for a fixed blade to go on of the arm straps of my Gyrfalcon with the handle down. They both look like just what I want....a smaller fixed blade but one that is ready to go where I can just grab it if needed.
Old Judge Creek
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilbur wrote:
Do they "lock" in the sheath where you could carry them upside down if you wanted? ...

Yes. But be aware, the sheaths for the Izula, Izula II and Candiru are a poly plastic, two molded sides, riveted together.

I have two Izulas, two Izula IIs, and a Candiru and have used them for a few years now - they all still lock up tight.
DCMG #1

Wilbur

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I was looking at this one from Schrade:

https://www.amazon.com/Schrade-SCHF32-Point-Fixed-Blade/dp/B00TIY4ZXC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489694880&sr=8-1&keywords=schrade+schf32

Partly because it also had the locking sheath but also at the price ($23) if I did lose it it wouldn't be the end of the world....I just want one that's easy to grasp on the pack straps and so upside down carry would seem a lot better for that. Of course if the sheath stinks and I lose it right away that pretty expensive too! #rolleyes
Old Judge Creek
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilbur wrote:
...I just want one that's easy to grasp on the pack straps and so upside down carry would seem a lot better for that. Of course if the sheath stinks and I lose it right away that pretty expensive too! #rolleyes

Wilbur, FWIW, I have 2 Izula and 2 Izula II ESEE knives. One is without scales "strung" on a boot string along side my Glock where I can pick it up during the night should I have to put on my pants and get the heck outta Dodge. Three are staged on various gear bags upside down or otherwise in defiance of the laws of gravity. I "fiddle' with them a LOT hoping to cause a retention failure. In 4 (or 5 ???) years now I've yet to have an Izula come out of the sheath - even when trying to skate/jar one loose. FWIW I found the Izula II to fit my hand and be more comfortable to use.

If I have any complaint about ESEE its that their molded polymer sheaths for the ESEE 3 are TOO DANG TIGHT.

A wee (and I do mean a wee) bit of work on the sheaths with an emery board they can be made useful IMO, but taking off material that cannot be put back always makes me very nervous. I've never once had a problem or complaint with one of the Izula sheaths,

Back to your original point:
Other than the Izulas, I've only found 2 other knives that I'm comfortable carrying on my pack straps: my long ago discontinued Benchmade Nimravmus Cub II and the ESEE 3 - and I'm not sure I'm as yet happy with the upside down setup with the ESEE 3.
DCMG #1

kentuckyjbird

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greeting's fellow Esee users,
First off let me Begin by saying that I have an esee 4 and it has served me VERY well. It quickly has became my favorite carry all the time knife.

Recently I have considered on furthering my esee battery. (Just because I think they are kitty cats whisker's. ) I was considering possibly the Izula,
But I was thinking maybe some thing smaller.
The Candiru looks prefect for what I might need.
Essentially I am looking for something to put into the glove box of my Cherokee for a smaller use or purpose.

Any comments or feedback would be greatly appreciated thank you.

DCMG #16
2017 and God is still meeting
all of my needs.
Old Judge Creek
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy 4th of July to you, J Bird and to all the Campfire posters as well!

I'd suggest that you consider the Izula II for your glove box. While that little Candiru can do a small host of jobs, IMO the little Candiru is simply too small for a lot of tasks, whereas an Izula (or Izula II) could do both larger and small tasks with greater efficiency and less effort.

#Bday
Happy 241st Birthday, America
DCMG #1

Manny

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Judge Creek wrote:
Happy 4th of July to you, J Bird and to all the Campfire posters as well!

I'd suggest that you consider the Izula II for your glove box. While that little Candiru can do a small host of jobs, IMO the little Candiru is simply too small for a lot of tasks, whereas an Izula (or Izula II) could do both larger and small tasks with greater efficiency and less effort.

#Bday
Happy 241st Birthday, America

I second the vote for the Izulu II. Still not a large knife, but large enough to be very useful. I really, really like the one I have.

“Happiness depends on ourselves. Maybe it’s not about the happy ending. Maybe it’s about the story.”
Athena Orchard

"Improvise, Adapt and Overcome"
Mantra of US Marines
Wilbur

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info all...thanks!
Orion
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also suggest the Izula II KJB. Especially if you're going to carry it in your glove box.
The Candiru is a great little backup knife or in a kit where space is at a premium, but the Izula II is a far better all-around knife IMO.

That said, I use my Candiru a lot. Especially when I don't want to bend the blade of my pocket folder. #look

DCMG #13

"I'm just preparing my impromptu remarks."

- Winston Churchill

I will appeal, not to the freedom of speech or religion, but to the sacred and inalienable right to be left the hell alone.

- Andrew Coyne
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The CampFire Forum Index -> Gear, Gear, Gear! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: