The CampFire Forum Index The CampFire
A self-reliant living discussion board  
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

An Away Bag Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The CampFire Forum Index -> Blacksmithy & Blades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Old Judge Creek
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 2:43 pm    Post subject: An Away Bag Question Reply with quote

Get Home Bag or Get Away Bag we all agree that a knife, or two, or three, or more are, for sure, part of The Essentials. OTOH: since a dull knife is not of great value, my question is:

In your carry gears surely you have provided some mean to keep those blades sharp and serviceable.

Results is of course the prime factor, but weight and space are critical as well. Whats in your wallet/pack/bag/etc to hone those blades so you can stay clean shaven?
DCMG #1

Old age aint fer sissies...
nomad58

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep one of those 1x3 inch carborundum stones in each kit. They are cheap and put on a good rough edge. At home I use finer stones for a more finished edge. But in extreme conditions I figure I might have to grind a good edge on an abused knife and want something more aggressive.
nomad
Old Judge Creek
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, Nomad.

At home (being a leather crafter) I have a variety of stones and strops to keep my knives (and X-Acto blades) razor sharp.

I figured we all probably plan for blade "touch up" after the shtf and don't have those niceties readily available to us.
DCMG #1

Grey Wolf
Cantankerous Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yur Honorable, I have a knife steel that is not much larger then a kitchen match. Comes in pretty handy!! #mrgreen
Orion
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep the Eze-Lap pocket sharpeners in my packs.

At home I use a Lansky sharpening system for when I need to do more than a simple touch up. I haven't used a regular whetstone since I got my first Lansky set several years ago.

DCMG #13

"I'm just preparing my impromptu remarks."

- Winston Churchill

I will appeal, not to the freedom of speech or religion, but to the sacred and inalienable right to be left the hell alone.

- Andrew Coyne
Old Judge Creek
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orion wrote:
I keep the Eze-Lap pocket sharpeners in my packs.

At home I use a Lansky sharpening system for when I need to do more than a simple touch up. I haven't used a regular whetstone since I got my first Lansky set several years ago.

I'd like to hear some of your thoughts/comments on the Eze-Lap.

Yesterday I Lowes I was cogitatin' on a Smiths at Lowes. It seemed a mite "heavy" for tossing in a pack.

DCS4- 4" Diamond Combination
Sku 50113/50271/DCS4
$19.99 - See more at: http://www.smithsproducts.com/product/4-inch-diamond-combination/#sthash.ImaNTNts.dpuf

Are these "pretty much" the same thing?
DCMG #1

Orion
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the ones I keep in my packs. It disassembles and the diamond steel stows in the handle.

I find them to work really good for light to medium touch up. I've had the one I keep in my hunting pack for about 15 years. It still works great and I've used it a lot.

I also have a couple of these. They work great for pocket knives.

I believe Eze-Lap has one similar to the one you posted.

DCMG #13

"I'm just preparing my impromptu remarks."

- Winston Churchill

I will appeal, not to the freedom of speech or religion, but to the sacred and inalienable right to be left the hell alone.

- Andrew Coyne
Old Judge Creek
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! Thanks.
DCMG #1

Mahachippy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judge,

I'm not sure the exact dimensions or weight of the Work Sharp Guided Field Sharpener but I've heard nothing but good reviews of it (along with Work Sharp's motorized sharpeners as well) and definitely have it on my to get list.

What sets the WSGFS apart from other sharpening systems is that it integrates 2 diamond plates, 2 ceramic rods, a leather strop, and blade angle guides into a relatively small package.

Reviews have said that it can get blades hair shaving sharp in a matter of minutes.

I know that space is limited in this context but it seems to me that if the WSGFS is as good as the reviews say it is then it might well be worth the extra room and weight that it might take up.

Here's a link to the Work Sharp product page (that said, you can get it several dollars cheaper elsewhere if you shop around).

http://www.worksharptools.com/guided-field-sharpener-221.html
"Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." Psalms 46:10

Defend the weak, protect both young and old, never desert your friends. Give justice to all, be fearless in battle and always ready to defend the right. Show welcome and good cheer to all of true heart.

Live with no excuses. Love with no regrets.
litegod

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are two things I am not that great at and frankly a little embarrassed about. sharpening knives and backing trailers, no matter how often I do either, I cannot become proficient in them. I deliver equipment for work so I pretty well forced myself to overcome the backing of trailers issue, still not great at it though.

I have become a fan of something from lansky called the blade medic.it is super easy to use and small enough to stuff in a pocket or kit.

Yehuda Bauer
weaver
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use DMT products exclusively. Dia-sharp machinist plates in the shop and duo-sharp stones in my pocket and in the Leatherman pouch.

DMT uses mono crystalline diamonds that don't break down as quickly as some other brands. And they have a wider range of grit sizes.

My 600 grit plate is over ten years old and still working great. I have taught a lot of beginning wood workers to sharpen hand planes and chisels with it, so it probably gets more use than the average user would inflict.
Bajatacoma

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suck at sharpening knives. In the States I keep a small wetstone in my bag and have a Lansky set up at the house.

Here in the Philippines, whenever I happen to see the guy at the local barber shop I run home and grab the kitchen knives. The guy rides around on a bicycle with a little sidecar that has his sharpening stones on it. He uses the chain drive from the bike to power the stones; it's a pretty cool setup and I keep meaning to take a picture of it but I always forget.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The CampFire Forum Index -> Blacksmithy & Blades All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: