The CampFire Forum Index The CampFire
A self-reliant living discussion board  
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Protein

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The CampFire Forum Index -> Homecrafting & Preps for Hard Times
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mahachippy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Protein Reply with quote

So for the last couple of months I've started a new diet of sorts (ketogenic diet) that has me eating high fat, moderate protein, and very low carb (I have 30 grams or less of net carbs per day (i.e. total carbs minus fiber) and roughly 35 to 50 grams of carbs in total per day all of which exclude most sugar, all grains, all starchy vegetables, most fruit, and so on) and honestly I feel fantastic - lots of energy, mental clarity, no blood sugar spikes and crashes, better sleep, better satiation due to my body being ketone adapted (i.e. I burn ketones (i.e. body fat) for fuel rather than glycogen that needs to be constantly replaced in the body), and so on (if ya' got questions about the ketogenic diet just ask and I'll do my best to answer them - two words of caution I will say up front though is that a) if you're diabetic or otherwise have metabolic issues consult a doctor is you were to consider a keto diet as ketoacidosis is very real and very dangerous and b) in life you need to chose either a high fat or a high carb diet (and whatever protein level you want though adequate protein each day is necessary to prevent catabolism of your muscle tissue via gluconeogenesis to get the glycogen that you're not getting from carbs if you're not keto-adapted, not eating carbs, and going full speed ahead in life) as having both a high fat and a high carb diet (as most American do) does absolute nothing good for your body as it forces your body to deal with both glycogen and ketones in your blood at the same time which puts a ton of extra stress and oxidative stress on your body's metabolic system).

Anywho, one thing I've started to do with said ketogenic diet is to have a protein shake after my afternoon workout and while admittedly it's not the best tasting thing in the world (I use one serving of unflavored whey protein isolate powder (mixed with water and ice, a serving of MCT oil, and a half a serving of smooth peanut butter) due to a) my negative reaction to sucralose that most most flavored protein powders used and b) because I can't afford the added sugar of those protein powders that use actual sugar) it's not terrible, gives me a boost of healthy fats (mct oil) and a good amount of quick digesting protein.

Well, as I was drinking said shake a few days ago the thought dawned on me that protein powder (particularly the unflavored whey protein isolate powder like the stuff I use) might be a really good prep idea especially if you perhaps vacuum sealed it with oxygen absorbers or at least kept it unopened in it's original container. I will say though that I'm not exactly sure how long it would last but methinks it would probably be last just as long as powdered milk perhaps.

Anywho, of the stuff I use (90% whey protein isolate), there's 27 grams of protein for every 30 gram serving which in the 1 kilogram bags that I buy mine in (I use the company bulksupplements on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E7IODXQ/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_51?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A8MA32QEVO3GI ) equates to 33 servings for $25 (roughly $0.75 per serving).

Now with that said, the great thing about protein powder like this is that you don't have to make it into a shake. Instead you can bake with it, add it to oatmeal, add it to soups or stews, add it to pancake mix, and so on and so forth - essentially you can work the stuff in to most anything and give yourself a definite boost in protein.

That said, the reason I bring this up is that beyond store bought or home canned meats (or jerky, etc.) protein is always kind of the more expensive/difficult thing to prep/store as it's usually not as cheap as carbs or fats and many times doesn't store as easily or have as long of a shelf life (albeit Spam aside in this discussion). Plus even if you do store a significant amount of animal based protein (note, I realize that beans and rice make a complete protein and various other carbs and carb combinations can have protein as well) how much can you store and what is the return for that storage (i.e. how much protein are you actually getting in say a can of chicken or tuna and what about if you have to split that can among 2, 3, 4 or more people)?

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying protein powder is the way to go and you should neglect other sources of protein; however, methinks something like protein powder might be a good prep to have on hand in addition to your other protein preps as for a relatively cheap and easy to store item you can get a whole lot of protein. For example, say you make a soup or stew to feed a family of four and you add in one 12.5 ounce can of chicken as you protein source. Assuming your family of four got equal amounts of the soup and finished the entire pot you made, each person would get roughly 8 grams of protein in that soup. Yet, if you added even just one serving of protein powder, to the soup then each person would get almost an extra 7 grams of protein in their soup (effectively almost doubling the amount of protein per person per serving). Now, what if each person got an entire serving of protein powder in addition to their chicken? Now you're looking at almost 35 grams of protein in that soup meal per person (the protein equivalent of giving each person almost an entire can of chicken themselves) and to add in that each protein cost you $3 in total to do so - to get that much protein (i.e. protein powder's 108 grams in total - 27 grams per person) you need to get/use another 2.5 12.5 ounce cans of chicken (with each can of chicken costing roughly $2.50 to $3.00 on average, YMMV).

With that in mind though, I do understand that protein powder doesn't really add "bulk" to your meal (but hey, that's what beans and rice are for, right?); however, it does provide a solid source of relatively cheap, easy to store protein that dense in nutrient and can be easily incorporated into the foods you make in a myriad of way.

Note, that too that you can get whey protein isolate as well as unflavored casein protein powder which has slightly less protein overall (1 gram less than whey, at least from bulksupplements on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Bulksupplements-Casein-Protein-Powder-Kilogram/dp/B0128VQT7Q/ref=pd_sim_121_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=P8WC9M7CCTRB1F5PK9XW ) and is more expensive; however, casein protein digests much more slowly than whey protein such that it might be helpful to include both in your preps (i.e. perhaps include whey protein in your oatmeal in the morning to give you quick energy and then include casein protein at night in your soup to a) help keep you fuller longer at night and b) give your body a slower digesting protein to break down during the night as your body repairs your muscles and such). That said though, using one or the other only probably wouldn't that big of a deal.

Finally one other point to make with regard to this based upon what I've learned being on my keto diet and really digging into nutrition is that the body requires fat (nerve covering, hormone production, cell walls, etc.) and protein (muscle building and repair, etc.) to function on a daily basis but does not have to have carbs (certainly carbs can be helpful with regard to replenishing your glycogen stores (assuming your not keto-adapted and instead fuel your body with glycogen - note there's nothing wrong with that; however, for me personally I found that I'm insulin resistant such that my body doesn't tolerate carbs well such that when said carbs are converted to glycogen my blood sugar kicks into roller coaster mode such that removing those carbs and glycogen and being keto-adapted has made a massive difference for the better in my life) and in the stimulation for the production of things like melatonin). Therefore it's really important, IMO, that in one's food preps there's just as much focus on fats and proteins as there is on carbs (i.e. beans and rice) as adequate fat and protein intake is and will be very, very important and necessary - especially if the proverbial balloon does go up and we no longer have the choice and conveniences that grocery stores provide today with regard to proteins and fats.

Also note, that the above discussion does not take into account hunting and/or fishing as a means of gather fats and proteins both now or post SHTF.

I forgot to mention additionally that unflavored whey protein powder is drinkable but not recommended necessarily, IMO. However, as an ingredient in food or a shake it's not noticeable and, from my experience, mixes in really well with whatever you're mixing it with.
"Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." Psalms 46:10

Defend the weak, protect both young and old, never desert your friends. Give justice to all, be fearless in battle and always ready to defend the right. Show welcome and good cheer to all of true heart.

Live with no excuses. Love with no regrets.
cedar valley

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Keto diet is good, I've lost weight on it a few times. The protein from good meat is better for you than the powdered stuff, in my opinion. I ran into ugly cravings after drinking protein powder a few times.

Keto got me in better shape to start hitting the gym, running, and lifting. Keto is great until you plateau, which I did at 18 lbs down once, and 30 pounds down the last time. In between, I never had a plateau because I quit before I reached it.

At some point, keto will become less effective, and I have to get active to build muscle and endurance, and weights were not easy or fun when I was on Keto. YMMV...
Manny

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a lot of body builder types who have the protein powder as a regular part of their diets, but as a supplement, not a mainstay. Seems to work for them, some very fit individuals. I tried it upon a time but didn't like it a lick and would have to be damn desperate to try again. If it's working for you, God Bless, but I'll watch from the sidelines.

“Happiness depends on ourselves. Maybe it’s not about the happy ending. Maybe it’s about the story.”
Athena Orchard

"Improvise, Adapt and Overcome"
Mantra of US Marines
cedar valley

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, Chip... if you like coffee, and haven't tried it, google bulletproof coffee. BEST. STUFF. EVER.
Black coffee, Heavy Whipping Cream, coconut oil or organic, grass fed butter. Blend/whip briskly. Enjoy. It is great for energy, keto friendly, and will kickstart fat burning. I lived on a cup a day for 3 months either as a part of breakfast or alone.
There are a bajillion recipe variations available online. Thank me later. Haha
Mahachippy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cedar valley wrote:
By the way, Chip... if you like coffee, and haven't tried it, google bulletproof coffee. BEST. STUFF. EVER.
Black coffee, Heavy Whipping Cream, coconut oil or organic, grass fed butter. Blend/whip briskly. Enjoy. It is great for energy, keto friendly, and will kickstart fat burning. I lived on a cup a day for 3 months either as a part of breakfast or alone.
There are a bajillion recipe variations available online. Thank me later. Haha

This was tried once...I said if one teaspoon of MCT oil in bulletproof coffee was great, then three must be better - never knew I could head for the bathroom that fast in my entire life!

That said, I'm not a huge coffee fan but I admit that the butter and heavy whipping cream does make it bearable every now and then. #smile
"Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." Psalms 46:10

Defend the weak, protect both young and old, never desert your friends. Give justice to all, be fearless in battle and always ready to defend the right. Show welcome and good cheer to all of true heart.

Mahachippy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cedar valley wrote:
The Keto diet is good, I've lost weight on it a few times. The protein from good meat is better for you than the powdered stuff, in my opinion. I ran into ugly cravings after drinking protein powder a few times.

Keto got me in better shape to start hitting the gym, running, and lifting. Keto is great until you plateau, which I did at 18 lbs down once, and 30 pounds down the last time. In between, I never had a plateau because I quit before I reached it.

At some point, keto will become less effective, and I have to get active to build muscle and endurance, and weights were not easy or fun when I was on Keto. YMMV...

I agree with ya' on the meat, CV - I use protein powder occasionally now but mainly stick to meat for protein.

CV, I've had to move to a more Targeted Keto Diet as it's called in that I tend to supplement with a bit of carbs right before my workouts as otherwise the grind makes me want to rip my hair out. I usually have about 100 grams or so of white rice (roughly 30 total grams of carbs) about 10 minutes before harder/longer training days and then just do fasted workouts on lighter/shorter days. (Why white rice? It's cheap, easy to cook and eat, and is almost 100% glucose which give me the carb boost I need on harder/longer training days.) That said, I do like keto but it's definitely a balancing act and takes a bit to figure out with regard to work works for you individually. I've heard tell of the mystical fat-adapted, non-bonking endurance athlete on keto but the process can take up to a year for an athlete to be fully fat-adapted such that at endurance race pace (both in terms of speed and distance) they can maintain said race pace purely from fat stores - ultimately that's my goal though I'm no where near a top level athlete; however, I figure trying to reach the athletic fat-adaptation state can't hurt.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The CampFire Forum Index -> Homecrafting & Preps for Hard Times All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: