The CampFire Forum Index The CampFire
A self-reliant living discussion board  
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Linux

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The CampFire Forum Index -> Computer Questions? Ask Mahachippy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
magooch

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Linux Reply with quote

This might have been discussed before on here, but it deserves mention anyway.

My somewhat aged desktop had Windows XP for an OS and when MS no longer would support it, I just kept using it and sometimes it worked just fine, but I sort of knew it was just a matter of time until it more, or less crapped out.

I was encouraged to explore the idea of putting Linux on it and I finally did get around to doing it. As of this writing I can say that at the very least Linux has breathed new life into this fine computer. For anyone else who is about at the end of the road with an MS (Microsoft operating system--Windows whatever) should look into it. There are some new versions of Linux that just recently became available. I'm using Linux Mint. Check it out at www.linuxmint.com.

I downloaded the operating system and saved it to the computer, then put it on a DVD, so I could boot the computer from the DVD and try it out. I will admit that I was a little mystified at first and it was a little like learning all over, but with a little exploring around clicking this and that, I had it working. Then came the day when I was ready to install it on the computer and I thought I would have to partition the hard drive and such, because I am not ready to flush XP down the crapper. It turns out that all I had to do was click on "INSTALL" on the DVD and it took care of everything.

All I'm saying is for the price (free) it is well worth giving your outdated system a new shot at life. There are supposed to be side benefits with Linux , like less likely to be attacked by malware and viruses, but I can't vouch for that yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The CampFire Forum Index -> Computer Questions? Ask Mahachippy All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: