The CampFire Forum Index The CampFire
A self-reliant living discussion board  
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello from Lone Arranger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The CampFire Forum Index -> Welcome To The CampFire!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lone Arranger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Hello from Lone Arranger Reply with quote

Dear camp Fire members;

Thank you for accepting me as a new member of the Camp Fire forum. Old Judge Creek (OJC) invited me to join and I quickly and happily accepted. Actually, I have had the site on my bookmarks for some time and have occasionally cruised the subjects that were open to non members. He and I figured it was time to make it official.

I am a long time target/tin can shooter, fisherman, rifle & shotgun hunter, bow hunter, camper, reloader. Now that age and aching joints has slowed me down a little, I mostly shoot skeet, trap and sporting clays, hunt ducks (and quail when the knees cooperate). Shoot targets and go fishing when possible.

Thank you Mahachippy for your warm welcome and no, I am not another trombone player. Trumpet, that most noble member of the brass family, was my instrument. Trumpet players, group the trombone in a general bag with the accordion, bagpipes, and the slide whistle (sorry OJC).

As OJC mentioned, I also was the arranger for his orchestra, writing over 80 big band charts for the group. Music continues to play a big role in my life, but now mostly as a listener. I enjoy the full gamut: bluegrass, zydeco, western swing, modern jazz, swing, and 19th century (romantic period) classical.

I hope I can contribute to the Camp Fire. I know I will benefit from the wealth of collective knowledge that exists in the group and I'm looking forward to participating.

Sincerely,

Lone Arranger
nancy1340
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the fire. #look
Manny

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome LA, very nice introduction, thanks for sharing. Your bio describes an accomplished and interesting life.... Just the sort of gent I'd expect to be associating with the leader of our Merry Band here at the 'fire.

If you get a chance, I'd love to see a list of some of your favorites in the Western Swing genere. I enjoy it quite a bit when I hear it, but know nothing about it and would like to learn more..

“Happiness depends on ourselves. Maybe it’s not about the happy ending. Maybe it’s about the story.”
Athena Orchard

"Improvise, Adapt and Overcome"
Mantra of US Marines
Mahachippy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to have ya' here, Pard - I look forward ta' chewin' the fat with ya'! #smile
"Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." Psalms 46:10

Defend the weak, protect both young and old, never desert your friends. Give justice to all, be fearless in battle and always ready to defend the right. Show welcome and good cheer to all of true heart.

Live with no excuses. Love with no regrets.
Toad Sticker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome!

Got a few bucks I can borrow?

TS
http://thepreparedchristian.blogspot.com/
Orion
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the CampFire.

It's good to have you here.

DCMG #13

"I'm just preparing my impromptu remarks."

- Winston Churchill

I will appeal, not to the freedom of speech or religion, but to the sacred and inalienable right to be left the hell alone.

- Andrew Coyne
Lone Arranger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manny wrote:
Welcome LA, very nice introduction, thanks for sharing. Your bio describes an accomplished and interesting life.... Just the sort of gent I'd expect to be associating with the leader of our Merry Band here at the 'fire.

If you get a chance, I'd love to see a list of some of your favorites in the Western Swing genere. I enjoy it quite a bit when I hear it, but know nothing about it and would like to learn more..

When I was about 12, way back when, taking piano and trumpet lessons, I went to see the movie "The Jolson Story". It featured a dock scene of a black dixieland band performing traditional jazz. That music just blew me away. If you were taking music lessons in those days, you were classically trained, period. I heard that dixie band and never dreamed such music existed, and I started trying to play that type of music with groups of my friends. This was the early 50's - also the early days of TV - when it was only on a few hours a day. Well about this time there was a western swing band playing live on a local TV station broadcasting from San Francisco. The first time I heard them my reaction was "wow, they're playing Dixieland, but wait, it's a little different". Different instruments, different music, but the same free flowing jazz/swing feel. Unlike most popular horn driven, fully orchestrated large swing bands of the era, Western swing bands, including this one, improvised freely, both as soloists and collectively which is why I at first thought it was some form of Dixieland jazz. I've heard it described as a mix of Dixieland jazz, folk, polka, cowboy, rural, blues and hillbilly, blended with swing and a touch of Irish and Cajun thrown in.

You asked my favorite western swing bands. IMHO you can't beat the great bands from the mid century: Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys (San Antonio Rose), and Spade Cooley (Detour) top my list. One of my current favorites is Asleep at the Wheel ("House of Blue Lights"). Here's a link to some great modern western swing bands:
http://westernswing.com/Links.html

Little known fact: in 1944 Billboard magazine ranked Spade Cooley the fourth most popular big band in the country, behind only Sammy Kaye, Freddie Martin, and Jimmy Dorsey. They made no distinction between types of music played.

In 1944 a 30% federal excise tax was levied against "dancing" nightclubs, sounding the death nell for Big Bands in general, and Western Swing bands in particular. This was in addition to local and state taxes that already existed and clubs could no longer afford to employ them. This % was later reduced but it was too late; the damage had been done.

Sorry this is so long winded. OJC may want to weigh in - he knows more about this music than I do.

Lone Arranger
Old Judge Creek
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LA sure knows his stuff. He was the ONLY person I could ever depend on to handle (lead) my orchestra in my absence. More than once, between numbers, I'd get grabbed and pulled aside by a new client wanting to book the band and LA was savvy enough to pull up an appropriate chart and kick the band off - which in turn kept the dancers on the floor.

Of course he also "orchestrated" a mutiny once...

We once were booked into a place for over a year and had a really huge faithful following of ballroom and swing dancers. During that time, we became quite acquainted with the regulars.

One night, the floor was full, one tune ended and I quickly called up a good followup and kicked off "Dancing in the Dark" (- or whatever the next tune was...) the band fired up but the tempo was wrong, as was the meter, as were all the notes... a genuine #eek WTF #eek moment until I glanced over my shoulder and saw a chef standing there with a huge cake and everyone was singing along with the band "... appy birthday to yewwww."

I have a picture of that "somewhere".

#lol #lol #lol
DCMG #1

Old age aint fer sissies...
Old Judge Creek
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 15 years or more we played the annual prom of a local private high school. They taught ballroom and swing dancing as part of their curriculum.

I always set the band up in three rows:
saxes, then trombones, then trumpets

We did have fun!
DCMG #1

Old age aint fer sissies...
Grey Wolf
Cantankerous Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcom' tu'thu' Far"!! I thins' I seen a paper on thet' reprobate in thu' red vest in thet' pitchur'!!! #mrgreen #lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The CampFire Forum Index -> Welcome To The CampFire! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: