The CampFire Forum Index The CampFire
A self-reliant living discussion board  
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Book: The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving the Economic Col

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FerFAL

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Book: The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving the Economic Col Reply with quote

Hi guys, just letting everyone know my book is finally available.

It’s available through Lulu
http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-book/the-modern-survival-manual-surviving-the-economic-collapse/6745965
and Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/9870563457

Here’s the Index
Introduction
A little about the author………………………………….11
What happened in Argentina ……………………………12
Why did I write this book………………………………..15
What to expect from this book ………………………….19
How to use this book……………………………………22
Why prepare……………………………………………..25
Types of survivalists……………………………………..28
The Little House on the Prairie Syndrome………………30
Risk Assessment…………………………………………31
Getting your mind and body ready………………………32
Your Home
City or Country: Where to live?………………………….37
Home security…………………………………………...42
Your Security
At the house……………………………………………..44
Dogs…………………………………………………….45
On foot………………………………………………….49
Identifying threats……………………………………….51
Most common type crimes………………………………52
Your vehicle
Motorcycles, Quads and Bicycles………………………...55
Cars……………………………………………………...56
Defensive Driving: How to drive during tough times……60
Evasive Driving Techniques……………………………..64
Your Gear
Your gear………………………………………………..66
Home Gear……………………………………………...67
If you could go back in time... ………………………….72
Bug out Bag (BOB)…………………………………...………...73
Every day carry (EDC)………………………………………….78
The survival emergency kit (SEK)………………………………81
Your Food……………………………………………………... 84
What to store……………………………………………………87
How to cook it………………………………………………….90
Game to be found in the city……………………………………91
Your Water……………………………………………………...94
Storing water……………………………………………………94
How much water do you need…………………………………..96
Potable water……………………………………………………98
Treating water………………………………………………….100
Your Self Defense Skills
Hand to Hand Fighting………………………………………...103
The right instincts……………………………………………...103
Your Training………………………………………………….105
Some basic points on hand to hand fighting…………………....108
Self Defense for Women………………………………………112
The fighting Knife……………………………………..……..116
Choosing a knife for self defense………………………………117
Knife Fighting…………………………………………………122
Knife attacks…………………………………………………..126
Where to strike………………………………………………...129
Gaucho Knife Fighting Tricks…………………………………132
Spears………………………………………………………….135
Unconventional Weapons ……………………………………..136
Firearms……………………………………………………….139
Quick Firearms introduction…………………………………...143
The killer inside you…………………………………………....148
What should I get?……………………………………………..151
Self Defense Shooting………………………………………….154
Calibers and Stopping Power…………………………………..162
About Pistols and Revolvers………………………………………...164
Other Firearms………………………………………………...……166
Your firearms Battery……………………………………………….172
Tips and mistakes I made regarding firearms………………………...178
SHTF Gun Cleaning………………………………………………...180
After the fight……………………………………………………….182
You Finances, your money
Cash is King…………………………………………………………187
The importance of Precious Metals………………………………….190
Recession proof jobs………………………………………………....196
Making money……………………………………………………….199
Real Estate…………………………………………………………...204
Bartering: First steps into rebuilding commerce……………………...209
The Art of Bargaining and Haggling………………………………...213
Using gold or other forms of foreign currency after the crisis………..219
Networking and making new friends………………...…………...223
People to be Friends with…………………………………………....227
Your Government…………………………………………………..232
What to expect during and after the Economic Collapse……………234
A New Mentality……………………………..……………………240
Bribing……………………………………………………………...241
Riots and Looting…………………………………………………..243
Relocating…………………………………………………………..246
3 Countries: Plan A, B, and C……………………………….247
My Wife’s Advice……………………………………………251
Epilogue……………………………..…………………….253

And here are all the comments I got so far in my blog

http://ferfal.blogspot.com/2009/04/book-review.html
Quote:

Don Williams said...
I received my copy today as well. Looks good. I've only had time to skim a few sections but I'm glad you went into more depth/added additional info on some of the topics you have discussed here.

Appearance-wise, The type-setting, layout,etc looks attractive and is easy to read.
April 17, 2009 6:03 PM
Anonymous said...
I can't wait to get my copy. Lulu told me it was shipped by media mail, so I have no idea how long it will take to make it the 400 miles.
April 17, 2009 7:42 PM
cryingfreeman said...
I received the book yeterday morning here in the UK and I've read approximately the 20% of it so far. I have to say, it's excellent and shatters a lot of illusions I had picked up from reading American survivalist literature (such as "Patriots" by J W Rawles). I'll post again with further comments when I finish reading it.
April 18, 2009 3:10 AM
Anonymous said...
Got the book this morning, I spent a good amount of time reading random sections. So far, I really like the "bullet" style of information. Instead of telling long winded stories, FerFal gets to the point and makes good recommendations backed up by real world examples of why you should or shouldn't do something. The book is packed with good ideas and recommendations. There are a lot of things I thought I had figured out as far as the way society would act in a crisis but FerFal points out what really happened in Argentina. I look forward to reading the book cover to cover. 5 Stars.
April 18, 2009 10:17 AM
Anonymous said...
It really has been everything I expected so far. Odds are that I'll buy another copy or two at some point for people I know.

I honestly would have bought this for the first two sentences on the back of the book. It always pains me to see my relatives dismissing my prediction of the future as "the apocalypse."

Really, though, thank you so much for sharing. You've put everything I've wanted written into one book.

Funny thing is that, so far, I can actually recognize parts from some of your blog entries and the original long post you made that led me here. Makes me enjoy it that much more.

I've never commented on your blog before, perhaps this is why I can't stop ranting.
April 19, 2009 8:29 PM
Andy said...
Got my book the afternoon and I am halfway done. This book rocks. It has all the stuff you need for urban survival. There are lots of books that cover shipwreck survival. This book covers the day to day living in a society where all the norms have collapsed and chaos reigns supreme.

Great work Ferfal. Well worth the $30, it is a bargain at that price.
April 20, 2009 6:31 PM
Anonymous said...
I ordered mine the day you finished the book (the 11th) and it just arrived today (North Idaho). Don't let Lulu scare y'all from doing the 'cheap shipping' in the USA (media mail)with their claims of 'we can't track it once it's shipped'. USPS media rate works fine.

Looking forward to 'digging in'!

Now, the rest of y'all go out there and buy his book! You come here to get some valuable insight and information -- now let's help this man buy some groceries for his family!
April 20, 2009 6:44 PM
Grayson said...
I got mine on Saturday, though I guess living only a few hours from Lulu's HQ sped up the shipping a bit! Anyhow, I'm going to get windy here, so here's the condensed version: New prepper or seasoned, or in-between, you WILL find something informative, or at the very least thought provoking. Heck, there's even a part on how to make your kid eat his dinner...!

I'm not a newbie to prepping...but, financial limitations aside, I guess I really could be trying harder. The book really opened my eyes to some flaws, or just things I could be doing better. Like, I wear shades almost all the time. Proper shatter-resistant shooting glasses don't cost much more than the cheap sunglasses I favor (LESS than them in some cases)...so why NOT have a little extra eye protection?

Body armor is something I overlook too, to my detriment given the increasingly-dangerous job of working in a pharmacy. Even if I COULD carry a gun with their blessing, it's very hard to stay in 'condition yellow' in an insanely busy pharmacy.

Also, some GREAT tips on Precious Metals for guy like me that's "late to the party" in that department. Hmm, I do have a question regarding that though...what if you really suck as an actor, like I do? Do you really get that much of a better deal if they think you're selling YOUR wedding ring or your "Grandma's" bracelet, as opposed to just one you had on hand from a pawn shop?
April 20, 2009 7:52 PM
FerFAL said...
Hey, thanks everyone for the support.
Seriously, I’m glad you all liked it so far. Also the emails are all positive comments, so that’s great. #smile
I’m working on improving the cover quality, since resolution seems to be a bit low and there’s some pixeling.
I emailed Lulu for those that asked about bulk orders.
They told me that for bulk orders, the real discounts start at 500 books. Lulu drops the price a lot and of course I drop my earnings as well, so as to make it more attractive as a business opportunity for those planning to resale at a lower cost.

FerFAL
April 20, 2009 10:10 PM
cryingfreeman said...
Okay, this is my second post on this thread, now that I've had more time to wade through the enormous amount of material in this book.

First of all, this is by light years the finest work on survivalism I've yet encountered. When you compare this book, which is based on experience, with Rawles' book, which is based on theory, you can arrive at only one conclusion: there is no substitute for experience!

For example, the foolishness of a survivalist group holing up in a shared retreat in Idaho is really brought to light by the widsom of this book. That people are territorial creatures (even close family members) and can't so much as get through a Christmas holiday season under one roof without major differences of opinion ought to speak volumes for the massive potential for crisis-sized problems in a highly stressful Rawlesian setup. And then there's the ongoing real life example of Zimbabwe where a hyperinflated currency, collapse of infrastructure and economy, and tyrannical government have combined to provide us with a living picture of how bad an idea it is to try to stand firm in a remote farm retreat. Ferfal's book highlights such dangers (and more) and dispels so much of the mythology surrounding preparedness that it absoultely must be disseminated as a strong antidote to mainstream survivalist error.

And of coure, for a guy whose first language isn't even English, this book is an oustanding achievement. Which brings me to another point. Everyone should, as Ferfal states, factor an emigration strategy into their contingency panning. It's a serious limitation on your options if you only ever consider relocation within your own country. Better to have a plan B, C and D. And to learn a relevant foreign language could one day prove priceless too; something we in the Anglosphere tend to overlook in our arrogance.

In sum then, read this excellent book and re-evaluate your survival planning while you still have the chance. So to Ferfal: well done amigo - and muchas gracias!!!
April 21, 2009 9:55 AM
Don Williams said...
1) I'm still reading Ferfal's book -- have found a lot of valuable info so far.

2) Re Ferfal's suggestion of having emigration as a backup plan, I think it is instructive to look at what CIA agents did during the Cold War.

3) The recent Director of CIA -- Porter Goss -- was heavily involved in the Cuban Missile Crisis --which is generally considered by historians to be the point at which the USA and Soviet Union came closest to a major nuclear war. A truly terrifying time.

4)Porter Goss was invalided out of the CIA while a young officer due to a severe disease he contracted. But it is interesting to look at the enclave of CIA retirees to which he retired in the 1960s -- Sanibel Island on the southwestern Coast of Florida.

5) NOT Idaho or Montana. Sanibel was one of the best locations in the USA to avoid downwind nuclear fallout. It was isolated from the crowds of Miami by the huge Everglades Swamp which at that time only had a single road through it --easily blown up. The Swamp was filled with alligators. Plus Sanibel was isolated from the Florida mainland by a long bridge. And the coast around Sanibel had relatively low population density until one reached Tampa well to the north.

6) But the other prime attribute of Sanibel was that it allowed easily access by boat to any American cities on the US's southern coast that survived (Houston, New Orleans, etc.) US cities on the East Coast that survived could also have been reached relatively easily by sailboat on the fast Gulf Stream.

Plus Sanibel allowed easy emigration to Mexico and points south. In contrast, Idaho and Montana are hundreds of miles from the seacoast.

We don't worry about nuclear war as much today -- but the lesson: always have one, preferably several, exit routes is still valid.
April 21, 2009 7:22 PM
Canis Lupus said...
I finished the book.

Despite its lack of aesthetics (which could be improved for later editions), this book is a mine of informations for those who really take the economic crisis seriously and who want to prepare to live through it without too much problems.
It really motivates oneself to get his/her ass off the armchair and to get prepared !
One fifth of the book is about firearms self-defense, with a lot of first hand experience.

The "Relocating" chapter inspired me much ! I'll try to set up some plan A,B&C.

One cool thing about this book is that it's not a doomers' bible for a civilization collapse (The Little House on the Prairie Syndrome is terrific, thanks), it rather refers to the real world where governments succeed one another and life goes on (we don't need that horse cart, at least for the moment).

You emphasize much on carrying a handgun. Does it count if it's an old style black powder revolver ? :-) (yes, semi-auto pistols are good but what if we can't buy these for legal reasons)
Okay, okay, I'll emigrate ! :-D
April 25, 2009 2:10 PM
FerFAL said...
JK, thanks man.
I post every comment but I wont post yours since you asked me not to.
Lulu sure isn’t very user friendly, I only did it with them because it was the best self publish alternative. On the good side everyone that managed to order with them got their book, seems they are very picky though.
I have Americans here in Argentina that ordered the book but couldn’t order because of their location (?).
I’m working on other alternatives and will hopefully have news this week, so if you tried to order from Lulu and Lulu didn’t accept the order, with a bit of luck I’ll have other alternatives in the next few days. ;^)

Canis Lupus,
Balck Powder guns are better than no gun at all. Just know that they aren't as reliable as modern firearms and aren't as safe, also more humidity sensitive.
It requires a religious user and constant care.

FerFAL
April 27, 2009 10:21 AM
Anonymous said...
Fernanado:
I have completed your book. It is an excellent primer. I have leved the preparedness forum all of my life. Both my parents grew up or were adult in the previous Great Depression. They continued to live the same way for the remainder of their lives and taught my sister and I as much as they could. Also, my father was a senior small town police officer and he as well as his friends and collegues taught us much about tactics, marksmenship, awareness, etc. Reading your book is much like hearing my father speak of how it was then or his prediction of the coming hard times. He predicted they would come because there was no backing of the money. Also he predicted that the crime rate would be much higher because this latter generation had rather steal and kill rather than work for a living. If you and your family ever make it to the greater Atlanta, Ga to the Greenville, SC Metro Ares, please give me a contact e-mail. I hope the best for you and yours.

Lame Wolf
April 29, 2009 7:34 AM
Anonymous said...
What a book! One of the most important books I've read in the last 10 years! This is the only first hand account of a first-world country experiencing a full-blown political corruption / economic collapse in this century. North Americans especially can learn a lot from these real-life observations and experiences. It's a bit expensive, but go out and buy it because the detailed insights aren't available anywhere else.

Suggestions for improvement for next version: Would benefit from a good english-is-my-first-language editor. The cover is misleading -- expect better sales w/ different positioning. Get away from Lulu.

Also, a bit more context-setting about the collapse. I don't think people w/o prior knowledge will realize what a great case study Argentina '01 collapse is for USA situation right now.

Regarding the JWR vs. Fer Fal 'thing'. Grow up readers! Both these men have plenty to offer. It isn't a 'this one is right, the other is wrong' kind of deal. Let me explain.

I believe the position Fer Fal supports in his book is the country homesteader during AN ECONOMIC COLLAPSE is at greater risk of home invasion than the higher-density housing folks in towns and cities.

I believe JWR doesn't discount this danger. He suggests mitigating this type of danger with an effective 'neighborhood watch'. I believe JWR would also advocate a home-based biz to minimize the need to go to town.

It seems to me from reading both men's writings for many years that bottom line is Fer Fal is a town kind of guy (enjoys having a life well-integrated with cities) and JWR is a country kind of guy.

Remember this book deals w/ political/economic collapse. There are other modern risks. Say maybe like H1N1. I'd much rather be living in the country, with a home-based business for that one if I were able to 'shelter-in-place' for months to years (self quarantine) than having a more city type lifestyle which required living/working/shopping in population centers!

I really liked FerFal's wife's perspective. I'm having my wife read the book now that I've finished it. My wife is enjoying it as well.

Congratulations FerFal on an excellent first book! Looking forward to many more to come!
May 1, 2009 6:18 AM
cryingfreeman said...
Sorry, but JWR promotes an unrealistic and theory-based approach whereas FerFAL has survived through a real grid down situation. In my considered opinion, JWR's approach is a dangerous fantasy; here's why:

1. A group of people, however affable and bonded to each other, cannot live harmoniously under one roof. If you've ever had a relative stay for more than a few weeks, you'll know what I'm getting at. Hell, even a husband and wife at the best of times have arguments; imagine what it would be like with a dozen armed, stressed out, possibly libidinous, and probably militarily inexperienced people manning a farm retreat under a rigid command structure. This is fantasy football! Simple fact: humans are territorial.

2. Finding a dozen people to agree with the need, never mind agreeing to the choice of retreat and purchase price would require luck and skill beyond 99% of humanity.

3. You can count your TRUE friends on the fingers of one hand. Seriously. If you think you're different and have loads of true friends, then you are horribly deluded. You may have lots of "fast" friends, the kind that are your drinking pals or whatever. But how many people do you know would truly put themselves out for you in your need? Or let me put it another way. How many people do you know have ever suffered loss to get you out of a bind?

4. Americans as a people (speaking as a European) tend to be full of it when it comes to how firm they will stand and how many Feds they're going to take down with their guns. Tell me, how many times have you heard of rogue citizens in the USA taking down full teams of Feds when their homes have been raided? The fact that the American people have lain down like baa lambs and taken the utter butchery of their liberties since 9-11 ought to say it all.

5. When it's ruthless looters and tyrannical government you're worried about coming to your door, who gives a rat's ass about gun laws anyway? If, as the gun lobby have been saying for years, it is the fundamental right of every citizen to bear arms (and I believe it is), what the hell is the point in pontificating over which state has the best enshrinement of the 2nd Amendment? Shouldn't they be discreetly arming ourselves and damn the law?

6. Maintaining a survivalist group in pre-crisis times would also be next to impossible, I believe. Besides, it would draw unwanted surveillance from the authorities as you know how hard it is to be low profile about such matters: "Three can keep a secret if two of them are dead". What if one of your group decides he doesn't like you any more? He could spill the beans on all your preparations, legal and otherwise and you could face the coming crises locked in a bloody cell. Not good.

7. Severe isolation (i.e. 200 miles from the nearest hospital) means that you'll need a doctor, equipped with defibrillator, blood transfusion gear, operating table, etc., etc. in your group for the inevitable injuries and accidents caused by farming and defending a remote retreat.

8. Manning the retreat pre-crisis is going to be necessary, no matter how remote it is because as FerFAl says, if a road or path leads there, as sure as night follows day, some hiker or utilities worker will make it there too sooner or later and maybe see it as a nicely gift-wrapped present. How will your wife and kids feel if you're there all the time, or if they're there all the time with you and then suddenly are inundated with new arrivals upon the explosion of a crisis?

9. You, as well as your group members, will all privately and independently reckon it will be okay to bring along another mouth or five to feed, without consulting the rest of the group. Congratulations, you've just introduced more conflict into an already simmering situation.

10. Do you really expect the roads to be open and everyone in your group to be switched on enough to get to the retreat before things get too out of hand? Here's a tip: 99% of those survivalists living in New York, Chicago, LA, etc. won't make it much further than the bottom of their own street when law and order breaks down. And their big silly Get Out Of Dodge (G.O.O.D.) pick-ups they'll be driving laden with supplies will draw no end of fire.

Personally, I believe a small, (paleo)conservative, "switched on" rural community (i.e. a village) is the way to go, preferably in a country with small government to water down the effects of the coming tyranny. But isolated retreats have proven themselves very dangerous in conflicts and cuivil unrest from Northern Ireland to Zimbabwe and therefore deserve to be warned against.
May 2, 2009 11:47 AM

Anonymous said...
This is the same review that I posted in Amazon. I recommend that other readers also review in Amazon; it has way more customers.

BEST BOOK FOR ORDINARY PREPPERS

If you are considering buying this book, you are probably looking at the current economy and worrying about the future. You want to know how to protect yourself and your family from the effects of this downturn.

If you read other survivalist books, you start to think that it's useless to prepare. They make you think that you have to be a sharp-shooting tactician who can improvise a hand grenade using peanut butter and Band Aids. This is not true, as Ferfal explains in his book.

Ferfal is an ordinary person (with a wife and two kids) who is living through the day-to-day struggle of a failed economy, with all of the attendant crime and struggle. He gives advice that real people can follow. The book covers home security; personal security; Depression-proof jobs; basic defense techniques for ordinary people; what to buy in advance; legal issues and (my favorite section) advice from his wife. The site I bought it from allows you to preview the Table of Contents.

I am an ordinary wife myself, with minimal self-defense skills, no tactical training, and no "live off the land" knowledge. I found this book useful, informative and helpful, and after I read it I added many things to my shopping list that other "survivalists" never seem to mention.

A minor caveat: English is Ferfal's second language, and his writing reflects it. (The book is self-published, and it seems that he did not have an editor.) The writing is easy to understand, but sometimes amusing (he types "embrace yourself" instead of "brace yourself," for example.) Ferfal also uses cusswords sometimes; he explains why in the book. Neither of these caused me any pain, but you are warned.
May 7, 2009 12:05 PM
Garry said...
Just finished my copy last night. I highly recommend this book to everyone. It helps you to rethink what has been taught about survival up to this point. The Plans A, B & C really got me to thinking more about where to go if things got really bad. I would hate to leave my country, but if it is too corrupt and dangerous, then there is no use in staying. I am glad that he emphazises the reality of how things will be. He brings up many good points. The book is well written for someone using english as a second language. Keep up the good work FerFAL!!!
May 8, 2009 5:09 PM

FerFAL
Bama Dave

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great. I'll be ordering mine payday.
kwbeagle

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks Great! I've got one in my Amazon Wish List. BTW, looks loke I might save a couple of dollars on shipping with amazon. #smile

If dogs don't go to Heaven, then I want to go where they go. - Will Rogers

****Pardon me while I adjust my teleprompter.****

Roll Tide!!!!Roll!!! 13 National Championships
bigbore442001

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting points on Sanibel Island. I remember visiting the area about twenty years ago and it seemed the place wasn't too friendly.
Bama Dave

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I got mine in day before yesterday. Great stuff so far. A page turner. It actually turns upside down a lot of preconcieved notions some of us survivalists have about SHTF scenarios.
FerFAL

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you liked it Dave.
SHTF scenarios sure vary a lot. One can only estimate which ones are more likely in one’s personal situation, and prepare for those.
At least I think that's wiser than going for a more far fetched, and sometimes more convenient outcome. Also learning from what already happened in the past or in other places. Sometimes people worry or theorize about outcomes or situations that simply never happened before and are unlikely to happen ever.
How many survival scenarios start with the preconceived notion that 80% of the human race will be conveniently wiped out?
Reality dictated that people are tougher than that. Rather than conveniently dieing leaving everything at your disposal as in “I am Legend” or survival novels, they riot, increase unemployment and consume all the resources.
People aren't polite enough to drop dead when you need it the most #blush

FerFAL
Hank Dodge

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered one
#wink
DCMG #3

"Shoot them big guns.....you can see the holes better!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The CampFire Forum Index -> The Flea Market All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: